Vista 10se 4140xm help please

Old 12-02-14, 11:13 AM
U
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 10se 4140xm help please

Hello all ! New to the board here. I recently moved into a house that had this old security system installed. Ademco 10se. Is the box? And the keypad is the 4140xm. It's too old to hook back up so for now I would just like the chime feature for when a window or door is opened.

I found the lady's paper with the codes..

I've read on here how to do it... it just doesn't seem to work... it still says check 01 04 09.

Sorry so much! I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help.. thanks alot!
K

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 12-02-14, 02:03 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
The Vista 10se and the 4140xm are actually two different systems. The keypads are pretty much interchangeable: Main board in the box with the battery is the one you need to identify. Look on the edges of the circuit board, there will be a part number like SAVxxxx imprinted on the pc board.

Old 12-02-14, 04:04 PM
U
I don't see a sav number but I do see stickers 4140xm manufacturing code 2218.

Old 12-02-14, 04:27 PM
U
OK I opened the keypad says ademco 4137 see instructions for n3122 or n3122-1

Old 12-02-14, 05:59 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Oh boy, that system is about 3 generations back (in terms of Vista models)...(circa 1993)
Installer manual: http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...n/4140xmii.pdf

Programming form: http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Adem...am%20Sheet.pdf

User manual: http://haassystems.com/manuals/4140XM.pdf

You have open zones, possibly missing the resistor, as well, on zones 1, 4, and 9. The trick is that you have to identify what openings those zones correspond to in your house.

With a system this old, you are dealing with something of a crapshoot.

Old 12-04-14, 07:30 PM
U
OK I tracked them down. 1 is fire. 4 motion detector 9 is nothing. There was a 3 also. Which was missing the resistor but I replaced it. I can hear the resistor click when I open and close the door but no chime coming from the keypad. The backdoor chimes so I know it works!

So now that I know what they are what is the correct way to enter the code in the keypad to turn them off (close I guess).

Old 12-04-14, 07:48 PM
J
In what way did yoh replace the resistor? If it is across the terminals then it may be permanently closed like this?

The clicking you hear is not the resistor but the contact itself. Most likely magnetic reed opening and closing if you are opening it slow and quietly, you can hear it "click"

Old 12-04-14, 08:39 PM
U
I just screwed in the red to one and black to the other. Like the back door is. It worked a couple times then I screwed it on the door and doorframe and then it stopped

Old 12-04-14, 08:50 PM
J
Sounds like somewhere you either have a bad connection in the wire inside the door frame OR your spacing is too far from the magnet.

Is this at the top of the door? You might need to space it out from the frame. Fold up some paper if you have to... If it is a push button, you can tape some cardboard on the door where it touches.

These are just simple and generally temporary fixes to my best guess with the given information. From your description of red / black, there is no resistor.

Old 12-04-14, 09:02 PM
J
Hate to ask buy perhaps a picture of the device you are working with could provide more help.

For what you are wanting to do, only hear the chime, it may be easier to accomplish by simply buying some cheap door chime sensors at lowes or somewhere. They are easy to install, just stick on the door and turn on the chime.

The system you have is sure to cause more problems than its worth just to hear the chime sound....

Old 12-04-14, 09:08 PM
U
Yes there is a little resistor on the red (+) wire right before it gets to the screw in the box. And I followed the wire all the way I don't see any damaged or pinched places

On the door. The spacing is very close. Would having the door closed and opened make a difference when I plug the battery back in?

I follow the instructions on trying to bypass the open ones. It says bypass on the screen but that's as far as it goes. So it's mycode>6 (bypass)>01 or 09 number zone?

Old 12-04-14, 09:17 PM
J
If you want to bypass those two zones then yes, enter your code, 6, 01, 09. And then wait to see the bypass and those numbers displayed indicating they are bypassed. Then you can arm.

If you want to permanently bypass these without that sequence each time, you can connect the resistor directly across the zone terminals at the panel board making that zone loop closed.

Old 12-05-14, 02:26 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like you have a couple of bad/missing contacts. Those can be replaced. It sounds like your zone resistors (which are different from the contacts) are wired in at the motherboard. No biggie...

To determine the installer code for this system:

Power down (both AC and battery)
restore AC power
within 30 seconds press * + # at the same time. It should go into programming mode.

Press #00 It will read back the installer code, one digit at a time (ignore leading zeros) Write it down.

While still in programming you can change the master user code on this model:
Press *01 [new master code]

Press *99 to exit programming. Test the code by turning chime function on/off.

Old 12-05-14, 12:17 PM
U
It reads the 03.. it just won't beep on the keypad.

Old 12-05-14, 12:53 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That means it's programmed as the wrong zone type.
In programming mode enter #02 and the display will read back the zone settings for zones 1, 2, 3, & 4. Odds are that your zone 3 is either programmed as an interior follower (04) or interior delay (10); neither of which chime...

Old 12-05-14, 12:55 PM
U
Thanks I'll try that and see!