Need Camerea setup advise.

Old 12-03-14, 01:47 PM
E
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need Camerea setup advise.

Can anyone recommend the best setup they think. I ran all cat5 wire to my locations were I am putting cameras at. I need something that will support at least 8 cameras.

Old 12-03-14, 02:58 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Support it how? Do you mean some kind of network?

Old 12-03-14, 03:25 PM
E
I mean is there any type of dvr and camerea combo anyone would recommend. Some people say ip camereas are better but I really don't know the difference.

Old 12-03-14, 03:35 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I don't have a recommendation. Many times the cameras are sold with the rest of the hardware & software. It sounded like you already had decided on what cameras, you planned to use. If that's the case, I would ask them for a recommendation. If not, I would call someone like Tiger Direct & ask them what's available.
800 800 8300

Old 12-03-14, 04:34 PM
Super Moderator
Received 68 Upvotes on 62 Posts
You say you ran cat5 but is is all terminated with rj45 connectors and if not can you do that?
If you are counting on using the cat5 then you have already made a major decision and only have to shop for network cameras and a DVR that can accept them.

Or are you asking:
Can anyone recommend the best setup they think.
If you are asking for the best set up then you will find many different thoughts but my opinion is that if cost is a concern then analog video cameras give best value for the dollar.

Old 12-03-14, 10:01 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,947 Upvotes on 3,540 Posts
You're asking people what a good setup would be. When you say best..... that's costly.

I sell and install Bosch camera systems. They are bar none one of the best. Plan on spending at least $500 a camera.

I also sell and install Hikvison systems. They provide a good product for the money. You should be able to find an eight channel package. The Hikvison system comes with a built in POE (power over ethernet) switch that runs and powers the cameras.

Old 12-04-14, 08:52 AM
E
I planned on using the cat5 to power and view the camereas. Can I not use 2 wires for the video and wires for the power?

Using these
Amazon.com : Bluecell Pack of 20 2.1x5.5mm Female and Male DC Power Adapter Connector for CCTV Camera Use : Camera & Photo

Old 12-04-14, 09:32 AM
Group Moderator
I'm not a big fan of connecting cameras that way but it should work ok.
Depending on the distance.... you may have to double two of the pairs for the power.

Old 12-04-14, 12:32 PM
E
Yea I was watching something online that said to use 2 pairs for the power for long distance. Nothing is more then 50ft from where the dvr system will be. Do you recommend anything for powering them up on the other end, or just put one of those plugs on the them and plug them all in?

Old 12-04-14, 12:38 PM
E
I couldn't use one of those poe boxes right? you need all 4 pairs to use that?

Old 12-04-14, 08:09 PM
Group Moderator
You would use a POE (power over ethernet) box for powering network cameras that run on Cat5 cable. I don't believe the POE voltage output matches what standard analog video cameras require.

Old 12-05-14, 04:57 AM
E
Ok so in order to use network cameras along with a poe box I would need two cat5 cables for every camerea?

Old 12-05-14, 07:41 AM
Group Moderator
For 8 camera installations I use the Hikvision NVR with built-in 8 port POE router.

For a generic network camera system.... you'll need a POE router.

A single cable is all that's needed.

Old 12-05-14, 08:25 AM
E
Ok great. Thank you so much. That is what I did. I ran a single cat5 to each location where I wanted a camerea. I should have ran an additional one to each location but shame on me lol. Do you recommend the ip cameras over basic analog cameras?

Old 12-12-14, 08:40 AM
M
I planned on using the cat5 to power and view the camereas. Can I not use 2 wires for the video and wires for the power?
You can absolutely do this, using video baluns. This type will make it all easy for you: terminate the wires with RJ45 connectors, the plug these in and connect them to the camera, DVR, and power supplies. These typically use two or three pairs for power, and one pair for video. DO NOT USE THIS TYPE - they are not baluns, they just connect the BNCs to screw terminals; without the balanced line, you'll get noise in the video.

This will also make it easy to upgrade later to high-def network cameras, if you choose, as you simply unplug the balun, and plug the network cable into the new camera. Get a hybrid recorder and you can mix-and-match analog and IP cameras to suit your needs and budget.

I install high-end CCTV for commercial and industrial clients; we've been using Cat5e-only for years in exactly this way, and for exactly this reason - ease up upgrade later. Cat5e is also cheaper than coax, has been for a few years now, and you don't need to run separate power. And it's definitely a lot easier to work with, and nice to not have to carry around three different types of cable in the van.

You would use a POE (power over ethernet) box for powering network cameras that run on Cat5 cable. I don't believe the POE voltage output matches what standard analog video cameras require.
You can provide PoE power in several ways. Some NVRs (Network Video Recorder) include built-in PoE switches with DHCP servers, so you simply plug the camera into the recorder and you're done. You can use a PoE injector, in-line with the camera. But to connect multiple IP cameras, you need a switch anyway, so you can just opt for a PoE switch.

PoE spec calls for ~44VDC to the camera, so no, it won't work for analog cameras. You don't need all four wire pairs for it, though. PoE spec supports two "modes". 10/100 ethernet uses only two wire pairs for data (typically the orange and green pairs); mode A uses the two other pairs for power, while mode B provides "phantom power" over the data pairs. In a pinch, I have run two PoE cameras over a single Cat5e.

Do you recommend the ip cameras over basic analog cameras?
IP cameras have a lot of advantages, not the least of which is the ability to provide high-definition video. Their prices have come down substantially the last couple years as well. However, megapixel cameras tend to have poorer low-light performance than analog, unless you get into some higher-end (and much more expensive) IP cameras. All of them have a web page you can login to, to adjust various video settings, and more of them now also have remote-operated zoom and autofocus. Many also have internal recording to SD card, so you don't need a separate recorder at all.

There are a few benefits to SOME analog cameras, still - they still tend to be cheaper overall, and there are models that have outstanding low-light response. If you're on a tight budget, it should be easy to find some decent used cameras.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: