help with a GSM system

Old 12-07-14, 10:49 AM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
help with a GSM system

New to electronics and security systems. Purchased a GSM system (108 Quad Band Wireless Wired GSM Home Burglar Security Alarm System Auto Dial | eBay)

I thought it would be able to make calls/SMS to my cell phone. However, it appears in the instructions to require a phone line to do so (garage building that doesn't have a line installed and I don't want to pay for one). I know there are modules out there that can make the calls themselves without a land-line. Is there a universal add-on that I could purchase and add to this system and simply plug into the phone line jack on this module? or could I somehow hook up an old smart phone to use as the call-making module?

like I said, new to all of this - and bought the product off ebay. the chinese company that makes the device has been little help.

Thanks
Luke

Sponsored Links
Old 12-07-14, 11:36 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,049 Votes on 973 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It looks to me like it has a GSM communicator in it so you will need to establish service with a central station that can understand the alarm transmission protocall.

I'm not sure if Alarmnet would monitor that alarm.
AlarmNet Services - Honeywell Intrusion and Communications

Old 12-07-14, 01:05 PM
A
I was hoping this could just call a cell phone? is this an options with any GSM communicator? or does it require one that has a SIM card slot?

Old 12-07-14, 01:21 PM
J
GSM communicators are used with a monitoring or other third party service to send signals over cell towers. Even if it was able to be programmed to call your phone, that would have to be done from the company that received the signal from the GSM.

For what you want to do, you need to connect to a standard phone line or a dialer module that will call your phone. Some can be done with VoIP or similar device. If your trying to use a cellular service, it is going to cost you some kind of fee regardless of who it dials out to.

Old 12-07-14, 01:52 PM
A
thanks for all the help.
A friend installed a system that allowed him to insert a SIM card (prepaid T Mobile) and it used that to dial connect. Wireless GSM SMS Home Burglar Security Alarm System Detector Sensor Call | eBay

I assumed that is what the GSM was referring to.
Would there be any way to hook up (or jerry-rig) my communicator to do this? or should I return it and get a new system?

thanks
luke

Do you