Alternative power source for ADT that will not die

Old 12-08-14, 07:59 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alternative power source for ADT that will not die

Malfunctioning smoke detector caused me to try to deactivate entire ADT system (did not purchase monitoring after moved in). Two boxes in basement: Safewatch PRO 3000EN and Telegard TG-4. The battery and transformer for Safewatch box: already unplugged. I then removed battery and unplugged the nearby transformer for Telegard.

The keypad showed AC cut, but still worked. Keypad finally died, after a day of flickering and low battery display. Alas the smoke detectors, including the chirper, somehow live on. I have scoured every floor, closet, garage of house: I find no other panel box, or transformer.

Ideas? Surely goes without saying that contact with ADT was useless. Could electrician at least remove the one detector.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-14, 11:31 AM
J
Is it possible that this smoke is not part of your alarm system? Or it could be wireless and have its own battery inside. Sometimes new wireless alarm systems are installed and the old can (with safewatch panel) would be irrelevant to its power supply as it may have a battery inside the keypad. Hard to say without seeing it.

Regardless of which, you should be able to twist the smoke detector off from its base and see how it is connected. If there aren't any wires, remove the battery. If there are 3 wires with a plug type connector, then you can unplug it and this would be part of your home standalone system. If there are wires attached to the base when you remove the detector, then you know it was hardwired to the alarm. Simply removing the detector from the base should eliminate the chirping if this is the case.

Old 12-08-14, 01:02 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
If they are "chirping" they are single station smoke alarms, probably ac with battery backup. Change the 9v battery in the smoke, and that should solve your problem.

Not part of the security alarm system, I would say...

Old 12-08-14, 01:47 PM
J
Thanks. I already had changed the battery, but assumed from screws (and ADT branding) that hard-wired to system. Removed screws, problem solved: thanks. I don't understand why not hard-wired, but I'll take it.

Old 12-08-14, 03:07 PM
J
Follow-up: Turns out the chirp was from nearby detector. That detector was plugged into the system. I unplugged, and replaced 9V. Fingers crossed. So do I correctly understand: system was alerting to fading battery. When I deactivated system, battery retained enough juice to continue chirp?

Old 12-08-14, 05:43 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
I strongly suspect that your smoke alarm is powered by the house 120v and not by the security system.