Motion false alarm during powere outage

Old 12-10-14, 11:09 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Motion false alarm during powere outage

Our PC1864 has two backup batteries for the main board, plus auxilliary power, with a single backup battery, for several motions. Last night, the power went off, and all three motions in that area went off. Main unit switched to backup power with no issue. I am presuming that the auxilliary power backup is bad and when it switched to that battery, the drop in voltage caused the motions to alarm. Is it correct to assume that the backup battery to an auxilliary power unit would not interact with the main board and give a low battery signal when warranted?
Any thoughts otherwise...

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-14, 01:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
If your power board doesn't have a relay that connects to a zone input, and/or it's not the DSC power module that connects to the keybus, there's no way for the alarm system to know the status of the add on power supply board.

Old 12-10-14, 05:53 PM
D
It is a DSC PC1520 which powers the wired zone expander. Battery replacement fixed issue. Too bad you can't monitor battery power over keypads.

Old 12-11-14, 02:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That's an older power supply board that predates your system by a lot.

Newer models are more capable: DSC PowerSeries Power Supply Modules - PC5200

Old 12-13-14, 05:19 PM
D
What is the difference between PC5204 and PC5200. They cost about the same. I'm going to purchase one to replace the unmonitored aux power source I have currently...

Old 12-14-14, 05:24 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
The 5204 has 4 programmable outputs.

Old 12-14-14, 06:18 AM
D
What are the uses of a programmable output in typical home install. These units are priced exactly the same so I sssume the one with programmable outputs is better?

Old 12-14-14, 08:53 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
DSC PowerSeries Power Supply Modules - PC5200

Take a look at the data sheets and see if it is of any use to you.

Old 12-14-14, 08:28 PM
D
What do people typically use the programable outputs for? It seems that most basic house installs around here just use auxiliary power for motions etc and don't even use the pgm outputs on the main 1864 panel. I must be missing near stuff.

I think I will order the PC5204 As I want to create a partition 2 with its own siren alarm. I know that this is one use of programmable outputs

Old 12-15-14, 02:32 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
In the real world, very few residential systems use more than a fraction of the capabilities of most modern alarm systems.

The most common use is to add things like strobes that operated along with the siren; second partition sirens; garage door operator trigger; etc. There's a lot of things that can be done with the ability to trigger a relay or control voltage input. It's just rarely done because the typical user doesn't know or understand the electrical/electronics to ask for such functions; and mass market alarm installers make their bread and butter selling the minimum hardware. They make their real money on monitoring services.