disconnect ADT cellular dialer

Old 12-10-14, 03:04 PM
O
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
disconnect ADT cellular dialer

I just disconnected service from ADT and they won't advise on how to disconnect the cellular dialer from the panel. This was the primary problem we had with them - that it would randomly cut out, beep endlessly giving zone errors at random times until we keyed in the code to shut it off, etc. Now I just want to use the system standalone (and eventually use a new service, which I'm still researching) and I want to make sure the cellular dialer is disconnected and won't give errors anymore. From what I understand, it's connected to zone 8 (according to the safewatch 3000EN panel display). Does that mean I need to permanently delete the zone - including jumping through hoops to find the installer number, of course - or can I just physically unscrew the zone 8 connection from the panel?

Also, I'm new here. Hi.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-10-14, 03:20 PM
J
What kind of cellular do you have? Telguard TG-4?

You can physically install a jumper wire across zone 8 but you will need to delete the dialing number in programming, unfortunately with installer code but you should be able to find it and/or enter programming follow the sticky faq

Old 12-10-14, 03:21 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
It sounds like the connected the cell dialer's trouble relay to zone 8. Replace those wires with a 2000 ohm resistor (red black red for the first 3 bands).

depending on which dialer model you have you may have to do some programming modification as well as disconnecting the wiring between the dialer an your alarm control.

Old 12-10-14, 07:09 PM
O
Thanks for the replies!

Yes, it's a Telguard tg4. Nailed it! The notes the installer left say "cell trouble" for zone 8, but it was all we ever used. We didn't have a land line, so i'm guessing they made the backup our main?

So...sounds like I will need to do both some reprogramming and replace the wires with a 2000 ohm resistor? I'm assuming you mean in the panel, where all the zone connections are wired in series? The wires which connect the cellular to this are split to the battery backup as well...so I just disconnect all of these (remove cellular entirely) and replace with the resistor?

I was hoping I could just either yank the wires or reprogram. Not both. So, I'm confused

Old 12-10-14, 08:21 PM
J
The telguard should've been replaced with a newer digital gsm. Probably had trouble as the phone companies upgrade the cell towers and you would see a flashing red light on top front of unit. The number of flashes indicates the particular trouble.

But in any case you are correct. The zone 8 is the cellular trouble for the panel to supervise the signal or whatnot. There should be a pair of wires connected to terminals 23 and 24 on the main board for the phone line output (marked incoming line or tip / ring) and a pair for power as you indicate connect to your system battery. Could've been terminal 4 and 5 for power or have its own transformer.

What you need to do isn't too difficult. Power down the system completely. A/C and battery. Then disconnect everything going to the tg4. Remove it or leave it disconnected either way but be sure to open the cover and disconnect the tg4 battery. There should be a couple slots to pop open with a screwdriver on the top if I remember correctly.

Once tg4 disconnected, reconnect your system panel battery. Then reconnect the system A/C power. This is where you want to be ready... once you connect the A/C, you have 60 seconds to get to the keypad and press and hold the * and # keys together to enter programming. (This is in the previously mentioned sticky)
Now if you see "20" or "installer code 20" then you're in.
Enter #20 and record the installer code for future reference.
Then press *41* *42* *94* *56 * 08* * 00* 1 00 *99

This should eliminate the phone numbers and disable zone 8. Problem solved. Hopefully

Old 12-11-14, 09:51 AM
O
OK. So you're saying I don't need the resistor then? Just remove the cellular from the zone 8 connections and do the reprogramming steps? Sounds easy enough...

Old 12-11-14, 09:54 AM
O
And yes, the TG4 was pretty terrible. They actually "upgraded" us to that about three years ago, after the initial one failed over and over. The tech came out a year later to service it, but all he did was put a bigger battery on it and increase the time out before zone failure. In other words: a band aid. So...either ADT didn't want to spring for a new cellular (though we were under contract still) or it wasn't available yet.

Old 12-11-14, 12:25 PM
J
It kind of depends on the celluar signal wherever you live. At a time, the telguard was the best thing I think they had with the TG-1 but the service cost ADT more so they taxed a couple bucks extra on your bill...

They make a honeywell cellular GSMV and now newer 4GMV or something like that and DSC makes a more universal cell unit, would've been GS3060 but now only using 3G3070 models. The best replacement in your case would have been the 3G3070 and very minimal changes to programming or connection to your panel would have been needed after registration of the unit itself with your account.

But either way, if you're no longer using the monitoring, then you should be able to follow those steps below and not need the resistor, just disable the zone in programming. You might google search the generic adt installer code, 99% chance it will work but you should be able to retrieve with the power down and back on method.

Old 12-11-14, 06:58 PM
O
Well that appears to have worked great! Thanks! I had a bit of trouble with your sequence of numbers and stars but only because I fell into a rhythm of star-number-number-star and then got off track with what you actually had. It's difficult because the panel isn't really responding in an intelligent way with each subsequent combination. Anyway, the panel appeared confused at that point, so I cycled power again and started fresh, followed your sequence exactly and the panel then sat in normal "idle" mode. So everything appears fine now. The cellular is offline and I've heard no warnings about zone 8 being down. Thanks again!

Old 12-11-14, 09:26 PM
J
I guess I should have spaced the entries a bit as sometimes if you go too fast, the system has trouble keeping up or if you hit the same button (star key) twice in a row too fast it might not recognize. But hopefully this solves your issue!

Let us know if you have any other problems come up with this again. Glad to help.