Help with securing camers to Brick home.

Old 12-13-14, 01:50 PM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help with securing camers to Brick home.

I am getting ready to buy this security system and I am curious as to what the best/easiest way to secure the cameras to my home. My house is a 2 story brick.

Amazon.com : LaView LV-KN996P168A4-T3 Premium IP 16 Channel Security System with 8 IP 1080P Security Cameras, 3 TB HDD (White) : Electronics

Sponsored Links
Old 12-13-14, 01:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,019 Votes on 946 Posts
We don't know what your house looks like so it appears you are going to mount them on the brick walls. You'd need to drill and set anchors for the screws.

Most cameras I install on customers homes go under the soffit.

Old 12-13-14, 02:09 PM
L
That was my plan but I was curious if there is a better idea like mounting 2 cameras on a mount for each corner.

Old 12-13-14, 02:37 PM
M
What type of cameras are they? "2 cameras on a mount" is hard to envision...

Soffit is preferable if they're high enough to be out of easy reach, as it gives you somewhere to run and hide the wires, and some small screw holes in the soffit won't leave as much of a mess as holes in the brick.

That being said, I've put lots of cameras on brick, masonry, concrete, etc. I generally use concrete screws such as Tapcon because they're more efficient than anchors and require much smaller holes.

Old 12-13-14, 08:30 PM
Group Moderator
Each of your cameras gets mounted to a flat surface with three screws. I'm not sure what you mean about two cameras on a mount.

Name:  camera.jpg
Views: 398
Size:  24.2 KB

Old 12-13-14, 08:36 PM
T
in general, you don't want them so high that you are looking down on the tops of people's heads.

with that system you will want/need to know how to crimp rj45s.

another method of mounting is on an electrical/handy box and if those aren't 3-axis, you are very limited on where to mount.

Old 12-15-14, 09:23 PM
L
I have attached a picture of the front of my house.

I have 12 cameras to place and the 2nd story soffit is too high to be useful. Any ideas would be appreciated. The cameras that I will use are POE and 100ft of cable is provided with each camera.

I thought about mounting the cameras on the left side of the house on the brick corners between the 1st and 2nd story windows. I would run the cable behind the gutter downspout and through the soffit.

Attached Images  
Old 12-15-14, 10:05 PM
M
You've got a lot of yard to cover there... problem with these cameras is that they have 4mm lenses, which is not going to give you the most efficient coverage: 4mm on a 1/3" sensor will provide only about a 62-degree field of view (FOV), which means you'd need three on the front of the house alone to cover the entire yard. Of course, that's an inherent issue with these big-box packages that give you a bunch of generic cameras that really aren't well suited for any one particular thing...

Old 12-16-14, 06:53 AM
L
I have 12 cameras so I should be able to cover everything that I need to. My biggest question is how to attach the cameras to my home and run the R45 cable.

Old 12-16-14, 11:19 AM
Group Moderator
You don't have an easy job there and 100' cables may not make it. I just sketched out a diagram. Depending on what you want to see.... soffit cameras are high and aren't the best for facial recognition but give you the largest viewing area, are the easiest to mount and the cable is already in the attic.

Most of my customers don't want to see the cameras so I use 8 domes..... two in every corner..... under the soffit and a camera at the front door.

If you do mount the cameras down low and to the brick you're going to need a small weatherproof box to enclose the splice. Arlington has a few and one is in the following link.
Arlington | 8161TR Product Information

Name:  House.jpg
Views: 742
Size:  32.6 KB

Old 12-16-14, 06:29 PM
T
Not sure your level of comfort for this type of work but, it might be worth considering a low-voltage electrician or handy-man to do it. Not that it's hard but, may end up taking a lot of trial and error, the right tools/parts, tinkering, etc.

An issue I would have is: Can these cameras pan, tilt and rotate on the base?
Not sure if that is a feature on these lower-cost cameras [and cannot tell from pic].

That being said, if you undertake the task, I would suggest using 'Wall Dogs' [check Amazon.com] to mount to the brick [whether it's just the camera or a weatherproof box, too]. They are quick and do not require using an anchor. The cameras on the left [high] side I would keep about 8-10 feet off ground [though I would recommend checking with "the boss"]. For the others, up under lower eaves is fine.

And because you are limited to 100 ft. per camera cable, I would look at putting the DVR in the attic and running a network cable up there.

edit: When considering camera shots, I would recommend against just pointing it out into the yard -- Keep the house in the picture.

Last edited by tpring; 12-16-14 at 07:23 PM.
Old 12-16-14, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
I had to look up wall dogs.... I knew they were used in sheetrock but I've never used them on masonry before. It says use for masonry too.

I use Tap-cons for masonry. Both are similar in design and operation.

Old 12-16-14, 06:56 PM
T
Yes, I'd never heard of them before working at my current employer but, my shop has installed hundreds of cameras using them. Similar to the Tap-Con Confast screws, thanks [I didn't know there were others].

The ones we get have a hex head and come with the correct masonry drill bit [as well the hex bit]. May be better to purchase them through someone like Grainger's, ADI [or similar that cater to the industry].

Old 12-19-14, 02:20 PM
B
I know this is ghetto, but I literally have my security cameras hanging out my windows lol. I know it's not ideal, but until I figure out a better solution it works for now. I have infrared cameras so when someone walks by the light from the camera is noticeable and deters them. Eventually I will have them installed better though.

Old 12-19-14, 03:16 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

Then come along for the ride and maybe pickup some ideas from this thread.

Soffit mounted cameras are not the ideal installation but it is the easiest place to mount them and run wire. As a tradesman we know how to get wiring to almost inaccessible locations but the labor to do this increases the cost of the job dramatically. For the most point only our high end customers, mega bucks, opt for cameras in the perfect locations.