Exterior door contact, hardwired Contact size

Old 12-17-14, 07:17 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Exterior door contact, hardwired Contact size

I am in the middle of installing a hardwired 20P system and am at the front door.

This is Florida and I have a out swing fiberglass door. Out swing, when you are outside the house the door opens towards you, not into the house. So contacts are not hidden behind trim or stops.

A normal inset magnetic contact on the latch side of the door would be very visible also easy to see on the hinge side if someone were looking.

Would installing a 3/4 inch inset magnetic contact on the top of the door be OK to do or is there a better way? Or is it even an issue?

Another question are larger contacts superior to mini contacts?

Any input, thoughts or ideas greatly appreciated. JIm

Sponsored Links
Old 12-17-14, 09:11 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,036 Votes on 960 Posts
A 3/8" or a 3/4" press fit type magnetic switch would work. The switch is in the jamb and the magnet is in the door. These are pretty hard to see unless you have a big gap between the door and the jamb.

The 3/4" type have a much wider gap tolerance and can be used in metal type or metal clad doors effectively.

If you wanted something totally secure and not visible.... you'd have to use a surface magnet set on the interior of the door.

Old 12-18-14, 08:17 AM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Thanks PJmax. For some reason I am not comfortable with the insert contact, I can see the striker plate so think the inset would be visible for anyone looking, but not on top of door frame. Out of curiosity I played with a 3/4" contact and a strong magnet on a bench the magnet close to the contact will not allow the switch to open when contact magnet is removed.

I like the surface mount idea and may go that way, if I can work around weather stripping.

Or am I over complicating things which I seem to enjoy doing. JIm

Old 12-18-14, 01:43 PM
Group Moderator
Yes.... a strong magnet held near the switch could circumvent the installed magnet... or set the system off too. They make high security polarized switches that aren't fooled by external magnets.

You can use a press fit at the top of the door.

Old 12-18-14, 03:49 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
If it's an option, you could use a push button switch on the hinge side of the door frame. Pretty hard to find or tamper with from the outside that way. Even tho magnetic ones are more popular (newer) supposedly last longer, I think if you use the door often then you have less problems than if you never used it as far as the button switch sticking over years of non use.

At least thought worth mentioning.

Old 12-18-14, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Actually, it's easier to see outside. Remember.... since his door opens out there are no stops to hide it.

Old 12-18-14, 05:50 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
PJmax, I had missed that in the first post...