Help: Vista 10SE Ademco 6128- Check 05 (windows)

Old 12-20-14, 02:51 PM
A
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Help: Vista 10SE Ademco 6128- Check 05 (windows)

Hi all, I would really appreciate any advice. The material in this forum has already been tremendously useful. After going through historic posts and user guide, I was able to start/set the codes etc for the existing system(Vista 10SE Ademco 6128)in my new home. It was prewired when built 10 years ago.

1. I am able to get chime for all doors and windows except study windows (seemed like that is programmed as zone 5 from documents left by the owner) and check 05 appears on the panel. I checked the wire ID for zone 5, it is connected to the motherboard properly. It makes me believe that the sensors at these windows might have gone wrong. Is that a correct diagnosis or what is the better way of checking that? There is slight rust on the screws but the sensor looks just fine visually. Any advice how to fix it.

2. I am able to put the system in "Armed" mode but then there is no response to opening front or garage side door despite 'chime' from both doors when unarmed.
Are problem #1 and #2 related? Probably not. It seems weird as documents call front and garage door as zone #1 and there is no error message and chime just work fine.

These two seem like last pieces of puzzle for me to get the basic system going until I figure out monitoring.

Thank you in advance.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-20-14, 04:48 PM
J
Sounds like one of your windows has a failed contact. You can try to physically remove the two wires at each window one at a time and touch them together and then untouch them (open) to see if it chimes. If one makes it chime then replace that sensor or leave it bypassed with the wiring.

2. Whenever you armed it, you should have an exit delay before the door will actually respond and cause an entry delay or alarm. Did you wait long enough after armimg?

Hope that is somewhat helpful?

Old 12-21-14, 07:18 AM
A
Thanks. Very helpful. I checked the wires by touching and then untouching them (one window at a time) - there is no chime. Does that mean wiring is gone bad or something else? I do want to fix it but in the meantime do I even need to do anything to bypass or should I leave as is- any downside other than seeing 'check 05' on the panel?

Yes with #2 the response time seem longer compared to other doors/windows- I guess makes sense if you open the common door by mistake. You can tell I am new to home security.

Old 12-21-14, 08:20 AM
J
It depends on how they are wired to the panel if it would chime or not whenever you touch the wires and then open... In either case, you could place a 2000ohm resistor in the zone at the panel board, terminals 15 and 16 I believe. Remove the wires connected there and replace with the resistor. Then enter code + off a couple times at the keypad to clear the check trouble.

You can leave it as is I suppose. Not sure if it matters other than showing the "check" all the time. May be a faulty wire in that loop.

Old 12-21-14, 08:49 AM
A
Thank you so much.

There are existing resistors at the end of line before the panel. Terminal 15 is connected to study windows (wire 41, zone 5) and basement windows (wire 44, zone 6). Terminal 16 takes wire #5 and that's probably other basement windows (not easy to read old handwritten material) Should all the basement windows be connected to terminal 16? And is it time for multimeter to checked for the pinched wire 41 from study windows? I only have basic knowledge if electrical systems.

Old 12-21-14, 08:53 AM
A
I will also add that I spent lot of time removing 'check09' and 'not ready' before getting here. After all attempts to remove dialer codes etc. (it would work once and then go back) Finally I went with *97 to default the system and it worked like a magic. Not sure if I through off setting for this zone.....not sure but I thought I will mention it.

Old 12-21-14, 09:23 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Terminal 15 is a "common" shared by zone 5 and zone 6.
Each zone has a pair of wires. So zone 5 has one connection on terminal 14 and one on terminal 15.

The correct resistor size for a Vista 10se is 1000 ohms (Brown Black Red for the first 3 stripes)

Installer manual: http://www.alarmhow.net/manuals/Adem...n%20Manual.pdf

The by defaulting the system, you have created the issue of all the zones reverting back to the factory settings, which may not match your actual zone configuration. If you don't have a 2-line alpha keypad (6139 or 6160) you can't access the programming fields to program the zone types correctly.

Old 12-21-14, 09:58 AM
A
I knew that defaulting was not a good idea but it was out of frustration before calling a professional but seemed to have worked .

Actually, I seemed to have fixed 'check 05' - it was not the study but the living room that also shared zone 05. One of the magnets was misaligned. Previously, I was not able to reach that window because of obstruction. Now even the study room windows are responding (Not as expected - see below). So the bottom line here is I should have checked all the zone 5 sets and not begin with the first identified problem that "study room did not chime". Sorry for the trouble.

Overall, I have a working system. However, there is a slight problem in the same zone 5 (w/o error display now)- all the doors and windows open/close settings seem to work as expected under armed/disarmed setting. However, opening zone 5 windows makes the system start beeping as if it was in armed mode even in disarmed mode. .... Is there some setting to fix or is this the default security? I would like those to just chime under disarmed mode and not beep...

Thanks again.

Old 12-22-14, 02:37 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
That's where the default has screwed you up: The default zone types for this model is that zone 5 defaults to being a fire zone. That's why it's acting strangely when you open the zone.

http://www.livewatch.com/wp-content/...rlt~1419244079

Also zone 2 is an interior zone, so it won't chime; and zone 6 is a 24 hour audible zone.

You _can_ follow the *56 programming steps without the proper keypad, but you will not get any prompts or feedback, so it's really easy to get something wrong.

Old 12-22-14, 02:25 PM
A
Thanks, Mr. Ron!

The manual isn't that easy to understand but it does reserve zone type 05 and zone no 09 combination for "tamper" and I cannot bypass 05 (perhaps the fire setting that you mention). The manual says that fire zone type is 09 but for zone 05 it says trouble day/alram night.

I checked all the zone numbers 01 (front/garage), 02 (foyer), 03 (family windows), 04 (rear door, dining windows), 06 (basement). I can bypass all and they work as expected (my expectations). I basically have to reassign zone type for windows (zone no. 05) to zone type 03?, correct?

You're right not an easy task. I was probably misled trying to type in without actually setting it and end up at a place that I could not exit.....i had to power down the whole thing. I guess changing keypad is the only option?

Old 12-22-14, 04:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Okay...
Changing the keypad to an alpha will allow you to fix the programming, with the least muss and fuss. If you can find a used, beat up, 6139/6160 (cheap) you can use it to program, then toss it in a box, or leave it connected in the closet with the alarm control.

I think you are mixing your concepts. The zone _number_ and the zone _type_ are two different things. The zone number is the physical connection. The zone type is the software setting that can be applied to a zone input in programming.

The default zone type for zone 1 is 01 (entry/exit); the default zone type for zone 2 is 04 (interior); the default zone type for zone 5 is 09 (fire); the default zone type for zone 6 is 07 (24 hour audible). Zone 3 & 4 default as 03 (perimeter). As your system sits, zones 2, 5 and 6 _can_not_ chime.

I think you may be looking at a manual for a Vista 10_p_. The two models do not program the same, at all, nor do they have the same capabilities.

Vista 10se programming manual: http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...ng/v10sepf.pdf