Powering off a system

Old 12-22-14, 08:43 AM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Powering off a system

Hi all!
I just moved in a house with an old Magnum Alert 1000 system. It checks if it has an active phone line every 4:00 am Well, it does not have, so it beeps like hell. I started to read forums for knowledge about programming this beaty, but until that, id like to power off the system.
My current question is, if i remove the ac cables and disconnect the battery for a full turnoff, will it remember every former setting like zone programming and such?
Thx a lot!

Sponsored Links
Old 12-22-14, 09:00 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,050 Votes on 974 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Just removing power from the alarm system will not change any programming.

Old 12-22-14, 09:23 AM
D
Thank you, and thank you

Old 12-23-14, 06:38 AM
D
Hi again.
Well, i tried to remove power, removed ac first, but at the moment i disconnected the battery, the sirene went off instantly.
Is this normal?
If yes, what to do? I guess removing battery from the sirene itself wouldnt be that easy, as its on outer side of wall, so attackers could do that as well?
Thank you in advance.

Old 12-23-14, 08:22 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
The siren gets it's power from the alarm system, once you disconnect both battery and AC power the whole thing shuts down. Your system may have been configured to sound the siren if the power was tampered with.

Once in awhile, you will find a system with a separate power source for the siren, but that would normally be in the same box with the main board, or adjacent to it.

Old 12-25-14, 03:29 AM
D
Thank you for the answers. Well the power off didnt work, and i cant find any alternative power sources. I dont have the know much bout these though.
But the interesting thing is - the morning beep went away since i disconnected the power. Everything else seem to be working though.

Old 12-25-14, 08:07 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
If you have disconnected AC power and battery, and the keypads are dead, then the system is powered down. Could you possibly be hearing sounds from some other devices? Smoke and CO alarms are generally not part of the security alarm system, especially one as old as yours. You may be unplugging a transformer that's not actually for the security system. If you take one of the wires off of either terminal 2 or 3 on the main motherboard, along with the battery, that will absolutely power down the system.

http://www.napcosecurity.com/images/...I582F_INST.pdf

Old 12-25-14, 05:24 PM
D
Oh, sorry, my bad, i didnt explain it right.
So after i disconnected all the power i had seen, and the alarm went off i made it all back, because didnt find another way to shut it.
So everyithing is back to the previous state... except that the morning phone-line check went away, so its kind of... fixed. No idea about the whole thing though... :|