Reset Master Code Error DSC 1616

Old 12-24-14, 09:58 AM
F
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Reset Master Code Error DSC 1616

I have a DSC 5516 Keypad and a DSC 1616 security system that was in the house when I bought it a year and a half ago. I never worried about the security system until now.

I do not know the master code and the panel is labeled by Brinks. It is not hardwired through a phone line (I don't have regular phone service). It appears to be wired to a cellular phone transceiver (uplink).

I did searching and found that I could reset the master password if I had the installer code. I didn't have the installer code. I did however guess it.. or so I believe.

I pressed *8 [installer code] and it seems to be in program mode per the installer's manual.

I have the 'armed' light on and the 'program' light flashing.

This is where the error comes in.

So now that those lights are on, I am supposed to press 007 to reset the master code.

When I press 007 I get an error tone and nothing happens. The 'program' light is still flashing and the 'armed' light is on.

What I expect (if I read the manual correctly) is the 'armed' light should go off and the 'ready' light should come on. I enter the new master code and press # to exit.

Am I doing something wrong?

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-14, 12:22 PM
J
The installer code may be 4 or 6 digits long. Default is 5555.

When you enter programming and 007, you should here a few rapid beeps. Then enter your master code. If you choose a 4 digit number then enter *66. This will add FF to the end or blank the last 2 digits and you should hear a few rapid beeps again.
Then you can press # to exit programming and try the code you set.

Old 12-24-14, 12:45 PM
F
Thank you jdh79.

I tried to add the FF at the end however, I get an error tone after I enter 007 into the keypad. I can't seem to enter the 3 digit number for anything. I have the lights that would indicate I am in 'Program' mode but it does not seem to let me do anything.

Any ideas?

Thanks for your help.

Old 12-24-14, 02:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Systems that were installed or taken over by Brinks often have the local programming functions disabled via the downloader software. That's what this sounds like. About all you can do with this, is start from scratch with a new motherboard.

Old 12-24-14, 02:28 PM
F
Ouch. Is there any way to hard reset these systems? I don't mind doing work to program the system. Seems like a waste to me.

Fyi. I am a software developer and I do hardware programming as a hobby.

Let me know. I have my own automation system setup along with ip cameras. I don't want to pay for a monitoring service.

Thanks everyone for your help.

Old 12-24-14, 02:36 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
There is a hardware default method, but what they did almost certainly turned on the "installer lockout" feature; which means the installer functions won't default.

Old 12-24-14, 02:44 PM
F
So should I try that? I don't use the system now anyway. I think it is kind of bs to lock people out if their own systems but what do I know. Lol

Old 12-24-14, 03:01 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Installer manual: http://www.gargoylesecurity.com/Down...STALLATION.pdf

You can give it a shot. The HW default instructions are at the bottom of page 26 of the installer manual. Replacement motherboards are actually pretty cheap. The hassle is recreating your existing zone configuration.

I agree, the installer lockout practice is a hangover from the 80s and 90s when there was a _lot_ of competition in the alarm installation and monitoring business, and alarm hardware was as often leased, as owned.

Brinks/Broadcom is one that habitually still follows this model. With one of their contracts, technically, they retain ownership of the hardware, even though they never show up to collect it on contract termination...

Old 12-25-14, 07:50 AM
F
Thanks Mr. Ron.

So I have been doing a lot of reading on how to get this to work but not actually on installing a board/system from scratch. So, would shorting the board basically be the same as buying a new board?

Also I see the installer lockout feature that some people are talking about and the disable lockout code. It is also on page 26. If I am reading this correctly, one should be able to turn off the lockout feature just like they turned it on??? Could it be that easy? I haven't tried this yet but it would seem pointless to enable the lockout feature if someone could just potentially disable it the same way, if they had the installer code.

You believe this is not what they used but a software written to the system preventing any changes?

Thoughts?

Old 12-25-14, 08:34 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
You can only disable the lockout from the keypad if your installer code actually gives you programming access.

Yes, a hardware default resets the motherboard to the factory defaults described in the worksheets in the installer manual.

Old 12-25-14, 08:45 AM
F
OK.. so I am a goof.. I don't think I actually found the installer code. I have appeared to find another feature. *8 6666 gets me into what looks like the program mode but doesn't. I found this on another post.

PowerSeries 1616 Installer code working, but isnt letting me choose a section???

See the last post. It appears I was duped into thinking I was clever.

I will see if I can get a new board or reset this one. I just checked ebay and I can get new board for $50. Not bad.. I just need to figure out how much time it will take to set it up.

Old 12-25-14, 02:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you already know what your zones are supposed to be configured as, and you are setting it up for local use, you only end up changing a handful of things from the factory default. Even for a novice, it will be a couple of hours, at the most. The trick is that you have to really read the section on "how to program". The programming interface isn't complex, but it is also not intuitive.