Trying to Figure out these wires

Old 12-24-14, 01:44 PM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to Figure out these wires

I purchased a home and I am trying to figure out what the wires in the image might be:

Here is the image

I believe it might be from an past alarm or something to do with a telephone system. I would like to remove them from the wall but don't know if they are live.

Does anyone have any idea what these might be? How can I test if they are live?

Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-14, 02:30 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
Those are "66" blocks, and that looks like a structured wiring cabinet below them. Normally they are used for telephone systems; but it's not unknown for alarm installers to use them as a neater way to make all of the connections to combine the various home run alarm zone wires into zones.

If there's a working security system in the residence, and there are a lot of doors and windows, then that's likely what they did. If so, your best bet would be to conceal them behind a small cabinet, if the visual is what bothers you. Trust me, that's a lot of time and effort expended on that punch block wiring.

Old 12-24-14, 02:31 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
They appear to be low voltage wires for a telephone or another communication system. I don't think that there is a risk of shock.

Old 12-24-14, 03:15 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,045 Votes on 969 Posts
WOW... I am somewhat impressed. Not done 100% correctly but it took someone a lot of time. You have 59 alarm points tied in through those three punch down blocks. Good to see the EOL resistors in their proper location. You can see the points coming into the punch down blocks and then going down to that control box which is filled with alarm zone expansion modules.

You definitely don't want to cut any of those wires.

Name:  IMG_4795.jpg
Views: 136
Size:  25.6 KB