Vista 20P keyfob zone use

Old 12-29-14, 06:05 PM
Received 1 Vote on 1 Post
Vista 20P keyfob zone use

With a vista 20P and 6162RF does a keyfob use 1 of the 16 zones available?

JIm

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-14, 08:00 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 89 Votes on 83 Posts
It actually uses _4_ zones; but the "P" series panels have a set of zones outside the normal zone range reserved for keyfobs.

http://site.aesecurity.com/Manuals/v...mmingguide.pdf
http://www.statcommunications.com/do...%20Rev%20A.pdf

Old 01-01-15, 09:17 AM
J
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
In the keypad manual, you can follow the directions to program the key fobs as local wireless keys and then they would not require the 4 zone spaces.

Depending on how many wireless zones you have, this may be necessary unless you use a different receiver like a 5881enh allowing 64 zones instead of 16. But in this case you would need to disable the receiver in the keypad as the Vista 20 panel only supports 1 receiver.

Old 01-03-15, 05:25 AM
L
I also have a Vista 20p with a 6162rf keypad (and 2 keyfobs).
When I look in the 6162rf manual I don't see the word keyfob.
Would I register the keyfobs just as a did the 8616 controls - where the keypad actually read the serial numbers ? What zone type would I use - 77 (keyswitch) ?

Thanks.

Old 01-03-15, 07:38 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Honeywell/Ademco uses the phrase "wireless keys", even though the common name most people use is "keyfob"

Seriously, with a Vista 20p, just enroll the keyfobs with the normal wireless programming procedures. The ability to directly enroll the keyfobs to the RF model keypads was a convenience feature that was included to accommodate older alarm controls that had limited RF zone capacity. Your 20p has 16 zone slots intended for nothing _except_ keyfobs.

Old 01-03-15, 09:13 AM
Thanks for all the responses

Being an amateur and hack I only ordered 1 Key fob (I don't care what Honeywell calls it) thinking it used a zone. JIm

Old 01-03-15, 09:49 AM
L
I mis-spoke. I have 2 - 5802mn panic buttons. I just enrolled it in zone 21, rf, with it's serial number and zone type 77 (keyswitch). I pressed the button - it armed the system in stay mode (even with existing faults) and now the keypad will not unarm the system. I pulled the power, disconnected the battery, reapplied power, when it powers up it goes right back into armed stated.

I found a 1 page install manual for the button - it says "the transmitter cn be programmed as any zone type response (emergency panics, relay action etc). But those zone types are not in the list in my Vista 20p manual.

What did I do wrong ? How can I get the system disarmed ? Thanks

And jjrbus - sorry for stepping on your thread - I thought we were in the same boat.

PS : I got it disarmed by removing power, restoring power, pressing * and # at D1 screen and then deleting my new zone. What did I do wrong ?

PPS : I tried enrolling the buttton as zt 07 and that didn't work either.

Last edited by lhpdiver; 01-03-15 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-03-15, 11:17 AM
We are all in the same boat!

Old 01-03-15, 10:04 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Are you trying to disarm the system using the _installer_ code instead of the master code? If the system is armed by any other method, the installer code cannot disarm it.

Old 01-03-15, 10:33 PM
T
PPS : I tried enrolling the button as zt 07 and that didn't work either.

Are you holding down the button for a couple of seconds or, just pressing and releasing?

PS: I believe the panel defaults to powering back up in the same state it powered down. You can change that setting.

Old 01-03-15, 10:42 PM
T
... does a keyfob use 1 of the 16 zones available?

If you only want the fob to do one function [e.g. disarm] -- you can use just 1 keyfob zone to accomplish that.

Old 01-04-15, 05:27 AM
L
Good Morning !

So just how close to being a keyfob is a panic button ? There are other components I need to install in our system but when I saw jjrbus's post I thought we were tackling the same (or similar) problem.

When I used zone type 77 (keyswitch - whatever that is) the panel was armed when the panic button was depressed. The last thing I tried was zone type 7 (24 hour audible) and zone 49 (up in the keyfob range). (I figured since there was only one button I would only need 1 zone ??) Then the system did nothing when the button was depressed. Still no luck. Brand new battery.

Can I test _all_ of my components (motions, glass breaks, panic buttons etc) while the system is disarmed in chime mode ? Should they all cause a fault (and a chime) ?

Is there a way to have the keypad/panel 'auto-detect' the panic button's serial number ?

Thank you.

Old 01-04-15, 06:57 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Zone type 77 is intended for hardwired keyswitches to arm/disarm the system (it's an "old school" leftover, that still has some specialty applications).

Did you delete the previous attempt to setup the panic button? It won't enroll as a new zone number unless you do so.

Zone type 7 is the correct choice if you are trying to make an audible panic button.

The closest thing to "auto detect" for the transmitter enrollment is to follow the enrollment instructions: press and hold to transmit once wait 8-10 seconds then send a second transmission.

You can use the walk test feature to test your zones.

Old 01-04-15, 07:32 AM
T
The last thing I tried was zone type 7 (24 hour audible) and zone 49 (up in the keyfob range.

I've never tried a panic button in the fob range but, I would think you would need to also 'initialize' the button if you program it in that range -- Enrolling a fob is a 2-step process.

I would just program it in a lower zone [as unsupervised, if you plan on taking it out of the receiver's range].
-------------------------------
Can I test _all_ of my components (motions, glass breaks, panic buttons etc) while the system is disarmed in chime mode ? Should they all cause a fault (and a chime) ?

In a word yes but, it depends on the programming -- for instance, zone types 4 and 10 do not chime. That being said, zone list 3 [*81] is for a 'chime zone list'.

If the panic is type 6 it will not chime, only 'fault' not sure about other button zone types -- keypad will sound in alarm [just disable the siren].

Last edited by tpring; 01-04-15 at 07:51 AM.