GE Networx NX-8V2 Alarm Battery Not Charging

Old 01-09-15, 09:56 AM
R
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Networx NX-8V2 Alarm Battery Not Charging

Hi Everyone, hoping someone can assist.

I have a GE Networx NX-8V2 System. About a month ago, the keypad was dim and some of the zones weren't working. I unplugged system and then it came up with Service Required and nothing else. Research online and my battery was 5 years old, so I decided to try a new battery for $17.00 on amazon. Got battery, plugged it in, reset time, and all good for about 2 weeks. 2 days ago, I noticed the keypad was dim again and some zones weren't working. Unplugged system and battery and plugged back in and Service Required message came up and nothing else.

Checked voltage on transformer and reading correctly at 17V. Checked voltage on the battery and was reading 9V instead of 12-13 like normal. Got a trickle charger, charged up battery full, plugged back in and now system back up and running again.

So, my guess is that the battery is not charging and slowly draining. I looked in the installation manual found here:

http://www.interlogix.com/_/assets/l...n%20Manual.pdf

but couldn't think of what else it could be. Thought maybe a battery fuse somewhere, but looks like there is no fuse. I'm guessing the NX-320 controller board could be going bad as it looks like that is where the battery connects, but I really have no clue. New board runs $60 so hesitant to just give it a try without confirmation or thoughts from you experts out there

I'll measure voltage on battery every day and see if it slowly drains until the same symptoms appear on the keypad. Could it be a bad battery???

Let me know what you all think. Thanks!!!

Russ

Sponsored Links
Old 01-09-15, 02:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 46 Votes on 45 Posts
Are you using the NX-320 as the sole power source for the system?
Is the NX-320 sharing a transformer with the NX8 main board?
What is the VA rating of the transformer you are powering the system with?

Old 01-12-15, 04:47 PM
R
Hi Ron,

See answers below:

Are you using the NX-320 as the sole power source for the system? Yes I believe so.

Is the NX-320 sharing a transformer with the NX8 main board? Yes just the one plug in transformer I have powering the system.

What is the VA rating of the transformer you are powering the system with? 16.5 and it is outputting 17V

Old 01-12-15, 05:23 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
16.5 is the nominal voltage output. The VA rating (wattage) needs to be 40VA at minimum (for up to a 1.5 amp load) and 50VA for up to 2 amps load (for the NX-320). Normally the NX-320 has it's own transformer independent of the transformer for the NX-8 board.

I think you are trying to run the system with insufficient AC source power (voltage isn't the issue; power (watts) is the issue).

Old 01-14-15, 12:28 PM
R
Hi Ron,

I think you may be right. Attached is a picture of the transformer I have now. The specs on the transformer are:

Universal Transformer
Model UB1640I
Pri. 120VAC 60Hz 48W
Sec. 16.5VAC 40VA

I plugged the transformer into a power meter and then the wall, and the power meter read .099 Amps, 120 Volts, and 7.7 Watts. I'm not an electrician at all, but shouldn't it ready close to 48W? If that is the case, then it looks like a problem with the transformer?? Found this on amazon for $16, do you think that would work as a replacement? It looks like it has the same specs as my original one. Thanks again!!

http://www.amazon.com/Honeywell-Adem....5+transformer

Attached Images  
Old 01-14-15, 03:09 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
40VA is the AC equivalent (roughly) of 40 watts. You can try it, but without seeing how you have things connected, it's somewhat difficult to tell what the actual issue is.

Old 02-05-15, 07:45 AM
S
GE Networx NX-8v2

has anyone ever set this system up to sound alarm when power is cut? and if so what is the best way to make this happen