Electric door strike problems.

Old 01-24-15, 04:52 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Electric door strike problems.

Hello guys,
I have a three apartment building. On the third flower there is a button switch that when press unlocks the front door or activates electrical strike. For some reason its not activating electrical strike to unlock front door, the switch it self has a led in it and under normal operating condition that led is always on. Today it was not on, so i was thinking its probably the switch and ended up getting a new switch exactly the same. After replacing the switch it still did not work, it will not unlock the front door, when engaged. And to make matters worse the second floor apartment unlock switch stop working after i installed the new switch. I am not sure how that effected anything on second floor its a two wire switch, would it matter which lf the two wires is connected to which terminal on the switch itself? Perhaps maybe that has something to do with it?

I also ended up removing the switch and it has two wires connected to it. When i removed the wires and made the contact directly bypassing the switch, it was still not unlocking the door.

At this point i have determined that its not the switch itself.

Also i know its not electrical strike, because in the basement of the building there is also switch that activates electrical strike and it works form basement.

I am trying to determine if its the transformer? But i am not sure where they typically install the transformer for the electrical strike?

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Last edited by GuitarSlinger82; 01-24-15 at 06:19 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 01-24-15, 06:44 PM
No easy answers on where to find a transformer -- it could be anywhere.

Best advice is to try and trace the wire back to an electrical outlet somewhere [probably not too far away]. Look at the other strikes [if there is more than 1] and look for similarities in the installation/parts. If it was a 'better quality' install, it would probably be a power supply [not a transformer].

Possibly in an out-of-the-way area [e.g. utility/electrical room] to prevent tampering.

Good luck with that.

Old 01-24-15, 08:05 PM
Thanks for your help. I am guessing that the transformer would be located somewhere in a centralized location, because my guess is that there is only one transformer that is powering the electrical strike for all three apartments.
With this in mind being that its one transformer it would not make a lot of sense to place it in the apartment unit, but rather somewhere by electrical box where all the power is being distributed for the building.

Its all guess work here. As far as tracing wires, its difficult because the wires that connect the switch to transformer and electrical strike are inside the wall in the apartment unit.

Old 01-24-15, 08:41 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

It's not a defective transformer or it wouldn't work from the basement.

It works from the basement.
It DID work from the second floor.

You have a wiring problem. There is most likely only one transformer and you may find it on the side of the main service panel or attached to a pullchain light fixture in the basement.

There only needs to be two wires between the release switches.
There may actually be a problem at the second floor switch. It probably connects there first and then the third floor.

Old 01-24-15, 09:56 PM
Thank you Pjmax that makes sense, if the transformer was bad, basement wouldnt be able to active the electric strike.

I am wondering if maybe the switch on the second floor is bad, and that is where the break up of the circuit takes place, and that would explain why the switch on third flood does not work?

They way i imagine is that both switches on the first and second floor are on the same two wires and they just close the circuit and activate the electric strike when pressed. Now if the switch on the second floor is broken then the switch on thirds floor will not work because the break up of the circuit is on the second floor assuming the switch is bad?

The only thing is that i am wondering why it stooped working at the time i replace the switch on the third floor, the timing is just weird.

Old 01-24-15, 10:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 327 Votes on 306 Posts
My guess is that you'll find four wires at the second floor switch. You may spot the problem easily.