Need help finding / creating security system

Old 02-22-15, 01:57 PM
J
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Need help finding / creating security system

What I would like is an alarm system with a couple door / window sensors, an IP camera with email notification when motion is detected, and the ability to view the system settings and video over the internet on a PC. No sign up or monthly fees.

I've spent a couple hours searching and shopping for the correct system, but find it very confusing. I find IP camera systems, but they are for surveillance, no door or window alarm system, or I find the opposite, door & window, but no camera system UNLESS you sign up for some monthly service.

Any help would be appreciated. I can build stuff, if needed.

Old 02-22-15, 06:07 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Because some mass market installers sell video and security combinations as a "package" it tends to confuse people. Video and intrusion alarm are two separate hardware systems that _can_ be made to work in a semi-cooperative way, but it's not very easy to do without using a paid service.

With an internet enabled DVR or IP cameras, you can easily have remote access to video. Some intrusion alarm systems have remote access options that are not external service dependent. If you have the knowledge and skill to tie this stuff to a home automation system, you can get _close_ to what you are describing, but it's not simple, and it's not easy.

Old 02-22-15, 06:13 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Old 02-23-15, 05:03 AM
J
Yeah, I saw that sight. They all seem to have a monthly fee and none describe video capability.

Old 02-23-15, 05:47 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Companies like tirgerdiret.com sell camera systems that you can install yourself. Maybe they have something for you.

Old 02-23-15, 03:34 PM
F
Received 38 Upvotes on 30 Posts
Lorex has cameras and recorders with motion sensing. Some of their systems can send an E-mail upon an alarm and the video can be accessed via their cloud link...all for free.

http://www.lorextechnology.com/index.jsp

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: