Ademco Vista 20p--Return of the Random Beep

Old 03-12-15, 03:45 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Ademco Vista 20p--Return of the Random Beep

Back in 2010 you guys helped me a lot with changing the battery on our above-named security system. Things have been peaceful until the last few weeks when a random beep started happening again. This is not a persistent beep, but just a once-in-awhile short beep or three.

What the keypad is showing constantly is 10/11 CHECK. That is, it will show 10 CHECK and then the 10 will turn to 11--back and forth, back and forth. The upper right corner says AC and CHIME. Nothing else. (When I test with the Ready key *, I get "Not Ready" and 10/11 alternating.)

10 is our front door. When we open it, we get the 3 beeps we ought to get, so don't know what the problem is. 11 is completely unknown. There's nothing written in the keypad cover for a zone 11.

I wondered if the little sensor box on our front door needs a battery or something. But here's something mysterious: when we ran a test of the zones, we discovered that there is no similar sensor box on the back door--so how does the beeping take place without it?

Husband is going on a trip soon and I would just feel a whole lot better if random beeping did NOT take place while he's gone. Doesn't bother me now but I know it will then.

Old 03-12-15, 08:50 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
Check for a zone usually means that either the battery is totally depleted (otherwise, you would get Lo Bat with the zone number), the tamper switch in the battery cover isn't making good contact, or the transmitter isn't talking to the receiver within the check in window.

What zone number is displayed with the back door? If it's 8 or less, then it's a hardwired zone. If it's higher, then they may have used the hidden type transmitter that goes into a hole drilled in the door header.

Old 03-13-15, 06:53 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Thumbs up Success!

Thanks, Mr. Ron!

Replaced the battery in the transmitter (?) over the front door. We've never changed batteries in these things for 8 years, so I guess it was time.

Keypad was still showing 10/11 but the word "CHECK" disappeared. Then I read the instructions that said to enter the security code and OFF to clear a corrected issue. So as soon as we did that, the keypad cleared and we got the green ready light. Now that I think of it, I don't think we've had a green ready light for months.

Never figured out what zone 11 was, but it disappeared with the clearing of the front door problem.

Oh, and our backdoor is something like Zone 02 and does appear to be hard-wired as you said.

Thanks again--we greatly appreciate it!

Old 03-13-15, 08:05 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
If the front door is a double door, they may have used the hardwire input for one side of the door, and the built in for the other half (the 5816 contact will allow two zones from the same transmitter.)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: