Wireless motion sensor 5890 PI chiming intermittently

Old 04-01-15, 12:06 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wireless motion sensor 5890 PI chiming intermittently

I have an Ademco Vista P-20 panel. The motion sensor is the only wireless part of the system. All doors, etc are wired. The sensor is about 5 years old model 5890 PI. For the last two days an intermittent chime is audible. The keypad says "check zone 13" which is the wireless sensor zone.
I changed the batteries just for the heck of it. Still chimes occasionally. The sensor does set off an alarm when armed. So, the sensor is doing it's job; but, I hear this chime on occasion throughout the day (and I'm sure the night). We don't hear it upstairs.
Any suggestions? At one point I turned off the chime from the keypad but it still chimes.
Any ideas are appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 04-01-15, 02:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
There is a tamper switch on the cover for these motions. If the cover isn't making good contact with that switch, it can cause random "check" signals. If there is enough RF interference; it can also cause random check signals, because the transmitter doesn't check in on a regular basis.

It sounds like one of your keypads may be programmed as a silent keypad (not uncommon for keypads located in sleeping areas).

Also double-check your battery (date). Many vendors don't rotate the stock on these batteries, like they should. If the battery has been sitting on the shelf for a long time, you might not have the life you think you are getting.