Integrated Home Security options.

Old 04-07-15, 12:39 PM
E
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Integrated Home Security options.

I don't live in the US, so I'looking for more general ideas than specific products.

I do live in an area where home invasion, while not an everyday issue, is a concern. Recently we've received some threats and would like to make some prudent security upgrades.

I don't currently have an alarm system since I recently moved but the house has been hardwired for one.

I've found lots of stand alone solutions for alarms, cameras and access control. I was hoping I could find software that would integrate all of that.

Does something like this exist? Here is the hardware it would need to control:

1 - Remote controlled gate
1 - Remote controlled garage door
1 - rfid controlled electronic strike lock.
1 - keypad controlled electronic strike lock
2 - keypad controlled electromagnetic locks
1 - Internal siren
1 - External siren
15 - Wired window sensors
2 - Infrared barrier sensors
1 - Cell dialer
4 - exterior cameras
6 - interior cameras

At a very minimum I need to be able to monitor everything over LAN. I have a VPN Firewall so I can connect to my home network remotely but having some sort of possibility to view the cameras over the internet would be great.

I also need support for a duress code on the keypad locks.

I'm hoping there is some sort of generic software that I can buy (or even better if it's open source) that does smart things like causes a doorbell ring to show an image from cameras.

Does software like this exist?

Old 04-07-15, 02:04 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I couldn't believe it but open source home security software exists.
iSpy: Open Source Camera Security Software
That's one of many hits on Google. I don't know if it does everything that you want it to do. However, I would put more emphasis on hardware then software. Heavy duty locks & doors are better than the best surveillance systems available.

Old 04-07-15, 04:33 PM
B
The cell dialer maybe a bit safer in terms of crooks cutting phone wires, but your options are better with internet operated alarms. They also integrate better with ip cam systems.

It's quite difficult to integrate everything since there is a wide variety of brand named devices on the market and all using their own unique communication system, but check out Control 4. They have the software to integrate a majority of it.

My own opinion... I don't think you should integrate everything. It's a bit of a pain having different apps on my cell phone for different stuff (thermostat... alarm... etc) but it makes it more difficult for hackers. If you integrate and you get hit by a hacker, all they have to do is hack one program and they're into EVERYTHING.

http://www.control4.com/

Old 04-07-15, 08:07 PM
E
Thanks for the suggestions.

I have moved into the future and have no home phone service. I do have a usb 4g modem which is hooked into my router in case my cable internet service goes down.

I have a very good door thankfully that can't imagine anyone breaking by force.

I also can't imagine any criminal spending the time to pick the two deadbolt locks on the door in full view of the street.

No the easiest way to break in would be by far to put a gun to my head and ask me to open the door. That is my concern. Thats why I want to integrate the access control with the alarms. I want a duress code that will open the door, alert the security company, unlock the doors for the police and trigger a silent alarm that allows the still safe members of the house that maybe able to get to safety to do so.

Also with the ideas of avoiding that scenario I want the cameras to show me whats around the corner when I walk out on to the street and I want to make sure that I can check if someone is watching our house.

On the camera issue, ip cameras are EXPENSIVE compared to cctv. I mean I can put 3 analog cameras for the price of an ip camera. I was thinking CCTV with a networked DVR would make more sense than a system of IP cameras.

Old 04-08-15, 03:10 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
So far you have only mentioned one door. Are there any other doors? What about windows? Are you going to put bars on them? If I weren't clear before, I would put more emphasis on physical security than electronics. (I said then by mistake)

Old 04-08-15, 05:31 AM
E
There are 4 zones so to speak of physical security.

Zone 1 is the outside. This is accessed via climbing over an 8 ft fence gate from the street or a 14 ft wall from the neighbors yard

Zone 2 is accessed from zone 1 and protected by wooden shutters such as these

I'm not sure how resistant they really are.

Or via the the front door which for all intents and purposes could be considered impenetrable (which presents the problem of how the police get in the case of a bad situation)

Zone 3 is accessed via zone 2 via steel framed hardwood doors with normal deadbolts or via zone 1 with the above curtains plus high security bars (half inch square verticals with 6 inch spacing passing through 4 flat bar horizontals with both vertical and horizontals embedded on both ends in the masonry).

Zone 4 is accessed via zone 3 in the farthest point from the accesses to zone 3. It is accessed via a security door and the walls are all reinforced concrete. It is independently ventilated and is where the cable internet and the currently inactive phone lines arrive to the house.

I'm pretty confident in the physical security if it's correctly used.

The goal of the electronic security would be to alert us to intrusions into outer zones. To isolate zone 3. To allow for entrance under duress while alerting other members of the home and police. To allow police access to the house so it doesn't become a prison. To allow for remote monitoring of the property.

We also have active security provided by puppies.

Edit: To be clear, I am not a billionaire nor do I play one on TV. I am not expecting an assault by a team of professionals, mainly becase anyone who did any sort of professional resarech would learn that it would be worth their effort! However we do live in a place where there are home invasions and people routinely keep large sums of money in their house due to a mistrust of the financial system. The other day my wife was mugged and although she sent a remote erase command, I'm doubtful that it worked as they usually try to crack the phone without cell access to avoid Gps tracking. If they did they would have seen enough to make them interested in burglary.

Last edited by Esand1; 04-08-15 at 06:01 AM.
Old 04-08-15, 07:32 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
I have a few thoughts on the physical security that you described. You can't make it secure against intruders & still have it accessible to police. Police only have access if you give them access. Police know that it's smarter to wait for an intruder to leave than it is to enter the house to catch him. The idea of physical security is to make a potential intruder look for a different target. I don't know what normal deadbolts are. I hope that you don't mean single cylinder deadbolts with a flip lock on the inside.

What is your definition of mugged? That's a term that has come to mean robbed when the true meaning is assaulted when being robbed. It sounds like you & your wife should take kung fu lessons. No matter what, you must see the attack before it happens. May I ask in what country are you living & what is your native country?

Old 04-09-15, 09:16 PM
E
For obvious reasons I'm not going to go into the full details of physical security on the web. We're only so anonymous after all. Suffice to say I'm satisfied that the house when secured is secure.

The surveillance and alarm systems are for responding to and preventing a situation.

I want the cameras to let me check if people are scoping the house and to let me essential look around corners before I walk out the front gate.

I want tcp/ip access control to let me let people into zone one remotely, I want my maids access to work only when she works, I trust her completely but keys can be stolen. I want to in a duress situation be able to remotely provide access for police if possible. I also wouldn't mind the ability to open the garage door and literally "let the dogs out" incase of a zone one intrusion.

Anyway in the last couple of days I've done a lot of research on this front. I've decided on, then discarded, then reconsidered until ultimately discarding analog cameras. Although they are far cheaper than Ip cameras the cost of getting a DVR capable of high quality analog recording makes the set up costlier than Ip cameras.

I've similarly discarded Ispy and am looking into alternatives. The main reason why is that ispy is very inefficient with computing resources.

What I have discovered is most camera monitoring software has built in communications protocols for interacting with home alarms systems. So that takes care of that, now what I'm looking for is a good alarm software that can handle multiple security modes, more than just home and away with programable behavior for each one.

While my wife has told me to handle our physical security and she's taking care of the data security.

Old 04-10-15, 02:58 AM
P
Temporarily Suspended
You don't have to provide any more details. I can guess on my own. Do you plan to hire an installer & if so, can you trust the local security contractors? The way the corruption runs in those places, it's from top to bottom. I know a lot of people from places like that.

Old 04-10-15, 04:37 AM
B
I have moved into the future and have no home phone service. I do have a usb 4g modem which is hooked into my router in case my cable internet service goes down.
Alarms have moved into the future as well. You don't need phone communication anymore. If you have internet then alarms are fully capable of communication over the web.

Locks don't stop the police or fire in an emergency situation so I wouldn't waste time thinking about unlocking doors for them.

Old 04-10-15, 08:29 AM
E
You don't have to provide any more details. I can guess on my own. Do you plan to hire an installer & if so, can you trust the local security contractors? The way the corruption runs in those places, it's from top to bottom. I know a lot of people from places like that
'

No, I'm going to do the install myself except for the more complicated electrical work and the network design and programing. I have a friend who is a retired electrical engineer and works as an electrician and my wife finally got her CCIE cert and has 12 years of IT security experience.

Locks don't stop the police or fire in an emergency situation so I wouldn't waste time thinking about unlocking doors for them.
I was worried more about the combination of my doors and locks stopping them. The guy who built our house put a lot of thought into security

Can the locks on the front door be picked. I'm sure they can but how long would it take? (Actually I don't know, how long would it take to pick 2 6 lever locks?) I'd rather they go through the garage and the door to the house there which can't be picked but is currently on a stand alone access control system along with the access from the outside to the garage.

Old 04-10-15, 12:03 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Picking locks takes time. If you use an Medeco lock, you don't have to worry about it being picked. I heard a one time holder for safe cracking say that he couldn't pick a Medeco lock. I don't know about the cops there but here in NY they generally don't enter unless the call came from inside the establishment.

You & your friends should be able to handle the installation. Even if you install some high end equipment, I highly recommend Pen Testing the system, unless your wife can do it. In other words, you try to crack it. That includes wifi, modems, routers & any other devices on the network. There is no sense in spending all that money if you don't test it. Many times, systems are compromised simply due to a misconfiguration. Instead of you watching the house, someone will be watching you.

Old 04-10-15, 04:29 PM
B
I was worried more about the combination of my doors and locks stopping them. The guy who built our house put a lot of thought into security
The police will use rams in an emergency and the fire department will use axes and even the bumper of the truck if necessary. They're pretty aggressive when it comes to that sort of thing. I actually witnessed a fireman one time bust out the windows of an illegally parked car (in front of the hydrant) in order to run the hose right through the car.

Old 04-10-15, 07:35 PM
E
None of those options would work on the front door I'm guessing (I did say it was for all intents and purposes inpenatrable) . Would definitely work better on the windows but I'm not sure it'd be that quick either. It'd be a lot easier to have a duress code for the alarm unlock a couple doors I'm guessing.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: