How do I remove an old alarm system?

Old 03-28-01, 05:24 PM
Visiting Guest
My apartment came with an ancient alarm system that I want to remove. It's a Cedemco Vista 4140. How do I take it apart? I don't know anything about electrical wiring, but I'm good at DIY projects & I'd rather take it apart myself than hire an electrician or alarm company.

Sponsored Links
Old 03-29-01, 07:19 PM
Eagle77
Visiting Guest
vista 4140

The alarm panel is powered from 2 sources. One is a battery which should be located inside the control cabinet. Remove both the black and red wires from the battery. The second power source would be from a plug in transformer. Look for a plug in transformer normally beige in color. Unplug this transformer. This should remove all power from the control. To be sure, remove the wires going to the first two terminals on the left side of the terminal board. These are the power terminals. If you haven't located the transformer, there could be low voltage AC current(18vac) going to these terminals. Cut the wires at different lengths so that the ends won't touch. The remaining wires can all be removed with no current being present.
Eagle77