Mysterious Hard-Wired Smoke Detector Issue- Please Help!

Old 04-17-15, 10:33 AM
L
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Mysterious Hard-Wired Smoke Detector Issue- Please Help!

I have a hard-wired smoke detector in my apartment that runs on battery backup. (The apartment is not in a complex, but is located in my landlord's house.) It beeps frequently and there is no rhyme or reason as to when it will go off. Sometimes it will happen for several days in a row around the same time. Other times, it will happen at a completely different time of day/night. Sometimes it will skip a day or two. The beeping usually lasts for a few weeks, stops for a few weeks, then starts up again. It is NOT a short chirp, rather a single long beep that startles me and often wakes me up in the middle of the night. I have tried EVERYTHING including constantly changing the battery, dusting the unit, and and even getting my landlord to replace the unit. Even after replacing the detector, the problem STILL persists. No one knows why it keeps beeping. I am at my wits' end and often wind up disconnecting it for weeks at a time. When I reconnect it, it will be fine for a few weeks and then the beeping will start up again. I am at a loss as to what the issue is. Please help!

Last edited by LD4444; 04-17-15 at 10:50 AM.
Old 04-17-15, 03:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 261 Upvotes on 240 Posts
Some smoke alarm models have a function where they have a warning tone when the sensing chamber has drifted out of spec. If it more than 8-10 years old, or has been exposed to a dirty environment; then it's time to replace the smoke alarm.

Since you say this smoke alarm has been replaced; are you _sure_ that the sound you are hearing is coming from the smoke alarm? Those piezo sounders are commonly used in a _lot_ of devices; and the tone carries. We've seen people go nuts messing with their smoke alarms when it turned out to be a forgotten carbon monoxide detector behind a piece of furniture; a cordless phone handset with a failing battery; or even a children's toy in a drawer; among other things.

Old 04-18-15, 01:42 AM
C
Received 65 Upvotes on 60 Posts
What MrRonFL said: Every service tech has stories of having to track down a beep that the customer was sure was the smoke alarm.

However...
Do I understand correctly that that the beeping stops for weeks at a time whenever the unit is disconnected? But starts up again after reconnection?
Because that would indicate the smoke alarm _is_ the source of the beep.

This could be a loose AC connection plug and the long beep might be annunciation that AC has been lost. Does the smoke alarm beep when you unplug it? Is there a loose wire in the plug? (careful, bare wires _bite_!)

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: