Retrofit Internet-based self monitoring without a fee?

Old 04-29-15, 06:17 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Retrofit Internet-based self monitoring without a fee?

I have a home with a wired alarm system that hasn't been used for quite some time. I'd like to upgrade it. I'm looking for solutions that would enable me to self monitor the status of the system and receive alerts by email or smartphone app without a monthly fee. Just something basic (zones and armed/disarmed, no cameras). I am not opposed to swapping out the panel and the controls. I've seen envisalink. This is not compatible with my system.

I'd like to find a new panel with support for:
  • wired internet connection
  • around 50 existing window/door sensors and a couple of existing motion sensors
  • alerts: program email settings in the unit or use smartphone app
  • no monthly fee
  • (optional) touch screen controls
Does such a thing exist?

Old 04-29-15, 01:58 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
Go with a DSC or Honeywell Vista panel that will work with Envisalink.

There's not _really_ a system that will give you the connectivity you want without involving some form of subscription service.

Old 04-29-15, 03:48 PM
B
If you go with envisalink 3 card you can then open a (free) account at

EyezOn | Internet Enabled Home And Business Security Alarms For Smart Phones

You can assign multiple cell phones and customize the alarm signals to each phone. You will get text massages with any alarms or problems.

Personally speaking I like DSC but honeywell will work too.

Old 04-29-15, 04:37 PM
L
That's a bummer. Thanks for the replies MrRon and Bob. Is Envisalink - EyezOn the only solution for what I'm seeking? Or are there other products that work with other panels?

Sidenote: I'll have to figure out what EOL resistance I currently have. I'd would be easier not having to mess with this when I upgrade panels.

Old 04-29-15, 05:12 PM
B
I don't know if there are any others... Probably. I've been with eyezon for a few years now and they haven't given me a reason to look elsewhere. It's a pretty good system.

Not sure about Honeywell, but DSC can be setup with or without eol resistance (except for smoke detectors which must have it.)... I didn't bother with it when I set my system up. I do have smokes but they're hardwired 120 volt smokes connected to a zone through a relay instead of the 12 volt alarm smokes.

Old 04-30-15, 05:10 PM
L
OK. So, if it can be setup with or without EOL resistors. Won't my existing resistors either have to match the expected resistance value or be removed?

Old 04-30-15, 05:17 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 126 Votes on 117 Posts
I yours is a typical residential install, the resistors are probably right there at the control board terminals (making it essentially a NC loop system...).

Old 05-05-15, 06:44 AM
L
This actually sounds like a good candidate for a Arduino or Raspberry Pi project. Then I can make exactly what I want... something to think about.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: