What direct burial cable for alarm keybus in outbuilding?

Old 05-27-15, 05:23 PM
D
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
What direct burial cable for alarm keybus in outbuilding?

I'm adding alarm to an outbuilding and can't find a good cable for running the system. I need four conductor direct burial cable. All I can find in four conductor cable is sold as speaker wire - it's straight through cable rather than twisted pair. Normal alarm wire, and the DSC spec, calls for twisted pair.

What cable do alarm pros use for running in buried pvc conduit to outbuildings?

Old 05-27-15, 05:55 PM
F
Received 36 Votes on 28 Posts
I just did a Google using direct burial alarm cable for the search term and got ten gazillion hits. Of course many (most) of those were just noticing a single word in the terms but I did find a Honeywell page that described their 4157 cable. Then I did the Google boogle with variations of 4157, Honeywell 4157 and the like and found more Honeywell pages on this cable.

I did find one retailer for Honeywell 4157 offering a direct burial, 4 conductor #18 cable for fire protection services but it didn't mention it being twisted pair (neither do the Honeywell pages) that might be what you are looking for. It is rather expensive, normally $316 but on sale until Friday for $269 for a 1,000 foot roll.

Now that was just the tip of the Google search. You might find a lot more with just the original search terms, I just happened to stop with Honeywell.

And do you really need twisted pair? I'm not an alarm tech but I have done a fair amount of alarm work and don't recall ever seeing a specification requiring twisted pairs.

Old 05-27-15, 05:55 PM
P
Temporarily Suspended
Cerrowire 150 ft. 12/4 SOOW Cord - Black-283-3604E - The Home Depot

That should work although it maybe overkill.

Old 05-27-15, 06:05 PM
F
Pulpo, type SOOW is a portable power cord. It is not meant for permanent wiring, direct burial or use in conduit. Further, it is not twisted pair design which the OP has stated he needs.

Old 05-27-15, 06:14 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
I do a lot of underground data and telephone wiring and that requires a gel filled cable.
Gel filled cables are expensive.

Your alarm requires very little. Underground it doesn't really need to be twisted pair as it won't be picking up any noise.

Here's all you need..... perfect for your alarm and speakers too.

Coleman-Underground-Sprinkler-4-Conductor Cable

Name:  wire.jpg
Views: 569
Size:  13.5 KB

Old 05-27-15, 06:18 PM
D
Now that was just the tip of the Google search. You might find a lot more with just the original search terms, I just happened to stop with Honeywell.

And do you really need twisted pair? I'm not an alarm tech but I have done a fair amount of alarm work and don't recall ever seeing a specification requiring twisted pairs.
Yes, there are thousands of types of buried cable to be found on Google. My criteria was just a little tighter than that and that's why, after hours of my own search on Google, I posted here. I'm looking for what cable pros use to run keybus wiring for DSC alarm systems. In your Internet search, did you find any that said they worked for that purpose?

I'm well aware of the Honeywell product. It's pricey and, for that price, I'd like to hear from a pro that it is what they use. Even 4 conductor direct burial speaker wire is pretty expensive. Since the keybus wiring instructions from DSC states that two-wire twisted is preferred - but not required.

Thanks for Googling that for me but, since I have already spent hours on Google looking, you didn't find anything I don't already know.

So, as I stated, I'm trying to find out what cable the pros use for doing the same thing.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-15, 06:34 PM
D
Here's all you need..... perfect for your alarm and speakers too.

Coleman-Underground-Sprinkler-4-Conductor Cable
Thanks, PJ. That's what I'm hoping to use. Considering the lack of any other cable being sold for the purpose (the Honeywell cable is fire alarm cable - which is much more tightly regulated and, therefore, expensive) of direct burial alarm cable, I'm tempted to just buy the sprinkler or speaker cables and try it. I can't find anything from someone who's actually done it but I know I can't be the first.

Old 05-27-15, 06:38 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,475 Votes on 1,363 Posts
What cable do alarm pros use for running in buried pvc conduit to outbuildings?
I install alarms but have never had to remote a keypad via underground wiring.

Old 05-27-15, 06:39 PM
D
Originally Posted by Furd
Pulpo, type SOOW is a portable power cord. It is not meant for permanent wiring, direct burial or use in conduit. Further, it is not twisted pair design which the OP has stated he needs.
Thanks, Furd. You're correct. SOOW is definitely the wrong thing and 12 gauge wire is much to big for the keybus terminals on an alarm system. 18 gauge is the max specified by DSC. Of course I can splice once I get inside and go to the 22/4 riser cable I already have to tie to the panel.

THere are a lot of cable types I could use but I want to do it right.

Old 05-27-15, 06:45 PM
D
Originally Posted by PJmax
I install alarms but have never had to remote a keypad via underground wiring.
THanks, PJ. I've installed and worked on alarms as well; I did it for a couple years when I got out of the Navy 30 years ago but never had to install buried cable. Even if I had, I'd still want to see what's the latest these days; that was a long time ago.

I have the conduit and a 2 foot deep trench from the house to the shed to put in the conduit for AC and a conduit for data/low-voltage. I have the THWN 6 for the electrical and direct burial CAT 6e for data. All I need is the alarm wire to complete the job.

Old 05-27-15, 06:51 PM
F
Well, I never know what someone has tried unless they let me know. You were obviously posting at the same time as PJ, who IS an alarm technician, so you hadn't yet seen his recommendation. I would follow his advice.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: