Alarm.com Cameras

Old 06-06-15, 08:59 AM
C
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alarm.com Cameras

Hi there. I have a GE Simon XT with alarm.com. Do I have to buy security cameras directly from alarm.com/are branded as alarm.com? Or will other ip cameras also work? Thanks in advance!

Old 06-06-15, 09:18 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,528 Votes on 1,411 Posts
I'm fairly certain that you'll need the GSM module for camera applications. The GSM module connects thru the cellular and your own internet service as a phone line can't support proper video transmission. You would probably be best to go thru alarm.com.

How many cameras did you want ?

Old 06-07-15, 06:50 PM
C
Probably 2. Was wondering because there are other ip security cameras out there for a lot cheaper then what alarm.com is asking.

Old 06-07-15, 09:02 PM
M
Banned. Rule And/Or Policy Violation
I would recommend you to go with alarm.com it's a little expensive but worth it.

Old 06-08-15, 10:13 AM
B
Smile Alarm.com camera information

I have been an Alarm.com distributor for about 6 years and was the first Alarm.com distributor in the state of TN. We currently provide the cameras to a number of dealers (we do not sell direct) and love their services. I can assure that the cameras, as long as they are not image sensor cameras, will work independently of any alarm panel. You are not required to have both. The dealer has an option to set up the new customer as a "video only" account. 6 Years ago, at the beginning of Alarm.com, I was not as impresse with their video services as I am to day. If you are a DIY type customer, we have a security company here in TN that purchases product from us and focuses on DIY customers. That company is Security Allstar. If you plan on using the lower resolution Image Sensor cameras you will need a security panel with a GSM/CDMA card installed. I hope this is helpful.

Old 06-08-15, 10:17 AM
B
Simon XT and Alarm.com

The cameras have to be Alarm.com cameras. Security Allstar in TN has a DIY offering and they are a customer of mine.

Old 06-13-15, 09:14 AM
C
Thanks for all the information! I'm going to go with alarm.com branded cameras. I already have a GE Simon XT with the alarm.com GSM module. One other question: the cameras operate using an internet connection. What happens if the internet line is cut? Do the cameras communicate with the alarm panel the same way sensors do? Like how sensors check their connection with the panel hourly and report tampering. I have cable internet in an older house so my electricity, phone, and cable lines are all above ground. Easily accessible with a ladder. I guess if I have 4 cameras outside, one on each side of my house they would catch the guy cutting the line. Unless he was smart and did it where the line meets the pole.

Old 06-22-15, 08:18 AM
B
Internet Outage and Alarm.com Cameras

This is a very good question. If you are using the standard Alarm.com cameras then the outage will definitely take down your video and the ability to record and view remotely. There are two options. One is to get the Image sensor cameras that don't stream video but send video snap shots directly through the GSM/CDMA panel. It is inexpensive and a great option. These would come directly from a 2GIG or Qolsys dealer like Security Allstar. A better option, and one that we have done several hundred times is to put a BNC, T-connector on the back of a small inexpensive DVR and hook it to a UPS (uninterrupted power supply). This allows you to run the Alarm.com cameras as they normally operate and also plug them into a DVR that will continue to record and save video, even is the internet connection is interrupted. Remember to put the DVR into a lockbox so that an intruder has a much harder time stealing the recorded video. You can get pretty inexpensive DVRs now and this dual recording is an awesome way to be almost fail-safe.

Old 08-04-16, 09:49 AM
C
Awesome idea about the DVR. I was actually wondering if this was possible. Thanks everyone for the advice!

Old 08-04-16, 01:13 PM
A
How do you connect alarm.com cameras to a DVR? Aren't they IP bassed cameras?

Old 08-04-16, 04:28 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 131 Votes on 122 Posts
The more accurate, and correct hardware is a _NVR_ (Network Video Recorder) which can record IP camera output in a single system.

Old 08-04-16, 11:15 PM
T
The 'Alarm.com dealer' is not telling the whole truth. Their outdoor cameras [V721] do not even have an RJ connection. The only possible way to record these on an NVR would be to somehow intercept the wifi signal. The [much bigger] V720 [older-style] does have the jack but that means you will need to run Cat5 to your wireless cameras. The 520 camera also has a jack but, is indoor only [and not HD].

The image sensor is not a viable alternative, as stated it only takes single pics, not video and is indoor only. The picture can be decent at times but, definitely not HD [more often like the old 'point-and-click' cameras]. Image sensors while an interesting idea are frequently temperamental. Our service techs are constantly dealing with battery and loss of supervision issues. You are only allowed a certain number of uploads per month before you are charged extra and [I believe] can only have up to three on the system.

They were mainly designed to prove that somebody is in your house since so many jurisdictions require proof before they respond [because of false alarms and smaller police departments] -- Identifying anyone through them is iffy.

edit: I guess if you used baluns then you could use BNC's on IP cameras but, not the wireless. And I would imagine you would not have HD quality.

Last edited by tpring; 08-04-16 at 11:41 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 08:03 AM
A
There is something called a SVR that works with alarm.com. I don't remember the part number, or cost but it provides searchable recorded video that the customer can access instead of 30sec clips.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: