Wanting to Get Rid Of Century Link POTS & Convert to Comcast VOIP - ADT/Brinks

Old 06-20-15, 05:26 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Wanting to Get Rid Of Century Link POTS & Convert to Comcast VOIP - ADT/Brinks

We have had two lines for awhile. CenturyLink has been getting horrible and no use in spending almost $500 a month. ADT will come out for about $80 and make the switch but we have rewired the cable, Ethernet, and phone lines in the house.

We are hoping this will be easy.

I can we convert the copper / POTS CenturyLink over to Comcact VOIP? I tried looking for some YouTube Videos but all I can find is how to increase Internet speed.

Thought I would come here and ask, y'all have been helpful before.

Name:  phone.jpg
Views: 265
Size:  23.0 KB
Hopefully this will help. ADT/Brinks said Comcast was compatible and was installed in late 2005.

Thank you!
Corey

Sponsored Links
Old 06-20-15, 06:59 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
The simple nutshell answer is that you disconnect the current incoming POTS line, and connect the output of the VOIP adaptor in it's place. If you do it that way, everything you currently have connected should work exactly as it always has.

Don't let some lazy tech simply plug the adaptor into some convenient phone jack...

Old 06-20-15, 01:21 PM
Thanks, I was thinking it would / should be that simple, I hooked up both of the black boxes, the first is Century Link and the second is Comcast. I was able to tell by hooking a simple line into the second box. The first box has three incoming lines, I am assuming one to the kitchen, one to the office, and the third would be the alarm.
In the kitchen is where Line One (Century Link) is, and there is another line one that goes to the office. The third blue one should be the alarm.
When ADT / Brinks came out, they installed a new panel and left the old one so it made it a little confusing. Their panel is in a closet on the first floor. We just had to change the battery in it.
I guess we should look in there to see if they have hard wired a phone line there.
We re-did all the cable, etc when we moved out here, about a year after the ADT install.

Old 06-24-15, 01:21 PM
From what I am gathering, looking at it, they somehow spliced it so that if someone is on the phone n, it cuts them off to make it so the phone can call. Any ideas on this mess?

Old 06-24-15, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
If an alarm system is wired in correctly, it is supposed to be able to seize the phone line. This keeps someone from preventing the alarm from calling out by simply taking a phone off hook.

Old 06-25-15, 02:19 PM
From what I am gathering, looking At it, they somehow spliced it so that if someone is on the phone n, it cuts them off to make it so the phone can call. Any ideas on this mess?
That's what it's supposed to do! It does that to ensure that the alarm signal goes out.