Nutone Alarm System Removal

Old 06-26-15, 10:58 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Nutone Alarm System Removal

Hi Everyone - new to the forum. Starting a remodel of my condo, and I'm discovering a lot of old electronics. I have a Nutone Alarm System (S-100) installed in my hallway closet. I don't know what it is, and I'm hoping I can just remove it entirely and drywall over the opening. Do you think I need an electrician to do this?I don't think it even works. Picture below - thanks!Attachment 52495

Attached Images  
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-15, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 30 Votes on 29 Posts
In a word: Ancient!

You _might_ be able to use the existing wiring for a modern system; but since it doesn't even seem to have power; my suggestion for you would be to open it up; disconnect the wires (of which there are probably only a few); and rather than drywall over it; get a low voltage mounting ring, and put a blank cover plate over it. That way; even if you never mess with it; someone in the future will be able to find the security wiring homerun location without cutting open walls.

Old 06-26-15, 05:16 PM
Thanks for the reply! Great idea - I think that's the way I'll go.

Old 06-27-15, 02:58 PM
Old 06-27-15, 09:11 PM
Received 13 Votes on 13 Posts
Hehe, that was worth looking at. Back in the day, I used to have to keep old stuff like that going, long after the 60's.

Nutone wasn't really much used by alarm dealers, but electricians used to install that brand. Unfortunately, electricians aren't alarm techs any more than we're electricians. Kind'a like bus drivers aren't the same as airline pilots. Neither could do the other's job very well without additional training--which electricians usually didn't bother with.

I didn't have so much trouble with the Nutone equipment as with the way it was wired--gave us a lot of problems and sometimes no good way to fix them, like questionable and inaccessible wire splices inside walls--a huge no-no in the alarm industry.

Can't tell you how happy I was when MD and VA regulated the alarm industry and stopped electricians from installing their monstrosities.