Ademco Vista 10P FC Error

Old 06-27-15, 10:44 AM
M
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts

Hello Everyone,

This is my first time posting. I would greatly appreciate some help with my Ademco Vista 10P Alarm System. My system has been working fine for years. We decided to change our home phone number. So, I called the monitoring station and gave them the new number. As a result I have been getting the FC error code ever since that call to change my home phone number. I called them again today and they had me put my system in test mode and run and activate my alarm, but no success. I thought the cause might have been due to the fact that our phone number block was activated, but I have since deactivated. I have been trying to troubleshoot the problem, but I haven't been able to find the cause.

Thank you in advance for your help!

Old 06-27-15, 05:34 PM
J
The problem isnt that you updated them with your number, it is that at the time switching service providers (I assume) the new service tech did not correctly connect the telephone line to your alarm panel.

If you have some cable modem providing home phone, be sure it is not just ran to a single phone or nearest jack on wall.... If you have standard pots line, good chance they either disconnected the phone to alarm panel or switched the incoming line to the panel with the out from panel making the system essentially hang up on itself when trying to dial out alarm signals.

Old 06-27-15, 07:14 PM
M
Hello jdh79,

Thank you very much for getting back to me. I am sorry but I forgot to mention that I use voyage and have been for years with my alarm. The Modem they provide contains ports for two phone numbers. I had one of the phone numbers disconnected and kept a single line. All I did was disconnect the phone that I cancelled from the voyage modem and installed the phone line for the other number into that port. So, I technically didn't change phone companies and didn't get any new equipment or have any service performed in my home. I am sorry for not mentioning this earlier. This is why I am so confused about why my alarm system is working. Could it be something with the ip address or something similar. Also, could you explain what you meant by "If you have some cable modem providing home phone, be sure it is not just ran to a single phone or nearest jack on wall"

Thank you again for responding.

Old 06-27-15, 08:35 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 241 Votes on 220 Posts
Some VOIP solutions are better than others at accommodating alarm system communications. Remember, these things are optimized for spoken voice. The high speed digital tones that the alarm spits out sometimes gets garbled by these solutions.

Your best bet for a solution is to connect a telephone test set or hardwired phone to the phone connection in your alarm control, and listen in while it tries to dial out. That way you can hear what happens when the alarm tries to connect.

Old 06-28-15, 05:40 AM
M
Hello MrRonFL,

I really appreciate your help. I will pick up a telephone test set and verify that the system is dialing out. Thank you again for your assistance.

Old 06-28-15, 06:50 AM
J
Check your connection at the panel too. It doesn't seem likely from what you described to not have connection but worth checking for dial tone.

If you have a voltmeter, you can check it across the terminals should have close to 47VDC. Find tip and ring, ring should be positive side.

If you read -47V then reverse your wires. Panel is picky about polarity on these VoIP where a regular phone will not care.

If you don't have any voltage, then something went wrong with your wire connection... again seems unlikely but nothing is impossible. Having a loose connection just getting moved a bit can break small phone wire inside. Just a thought.

Old 06-28-15, 07:12 AM
M
Hello jdh79,

Thank you very much for the information. I will verify all this later today. I can't thank you and MrRonFL enough for your help. I am new to all this, but I am pretty technical. Thank you again!

Old 06-28-15, 08:47 AM
M
Hello jdh79,

As I mentioned, I am new to alarm systems. Are you asking me to measure the voltage on the phone lines (Red & Green) inside the panel? If so, I checked and it reads 48 volts. How do I figure out which is the tip and which is the ring side?

Thank you again!

Old 06-28-15, 08:53 AM
J
Red is typically ring. But sounds like you at least have solid connection so probably not the problem. Worth a quick check anyhow

Old 06-28-15, 11:46 AM
M
Hello jdh79 &7 MrRonFL,

I was able to plug a phone into the panel and I received the following message instead of a dial tone; your phone may be plugged into the wrong port. I checked the lines connected to the red & green terminals and they are blue & blue/white just like all the other outlets in my house and I am getting a dial tone. My other line (home office) which is orange & orange/white is inactive and gets the same message, but the wires connected in the alarm panel are blue & blue/white. Would I have to change any wiring in the RJ31X jack?

Thank you again for all your help!

Old 06-28-15, 12:47 PM
J
Be sure that the blue pair is connected to the incoming "line" terminals 23 and 24. Also check that your connection is maintained all the way from the modem to the alarm on the working line.

If your rj31x block has the blue white on the red and green inside and the cord red and green is connected to 23 and 24, then the problem is before that point

Old 06-28-15, 12:50 PM
J
I would suspect that somewhere your wire is connected to the office line or orange pair instead of the blue. If you can track it down then you should be able to fix the problem.

Old 06-28-15, 01:04 PM
M
Hello jdh79,

Could the problem be outside in the NIB ( I think that's what it's called), but I will check everything you mentioned.

Thanks again for everything!

Old 06-28-15, 01:38 PM
J
I suppose it is possible if the connection goes thru there. The demarc or telephone interface is what you are referring to as network interface box. Anywhere that a connection from your dial tone origination, modem, up to the point of connection at the panel is possible.

shouldnt be that much that you changed with one simple switch of the line....

Old 06-28-15, 02:14 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
If you reduced down to 1 line from 2, and the second line was an office/fax line; that is typically the line that the alarm would have been connected to.

The dialtone coming from the source would go into the alarm system on a pair (in your case blue/light blue) and return the dialtone to the lines downstream on another pair (probably orange/light orange).

You just have to identify which cable at your demark is the one that goes to the alarm and make sure that the dialtone coming from your VOIP adaptor goes into the blue pair, then you use the return pair to put dialtone on all your other extension jacks.

Sometimes "simple" changes create big complications.

The weird thing is that, these days, alarm installers have to know more about telephone wiring than the people who sell phone systems and services...

Old 06-28-15, 03:00 PM
M
Hello jdh79,

Thank you. I was thinking the same thing. I only removed the phone line from the back of the vonage box that I deactivated and plugged it into the other line. I am patiently following all the lines.

Thank you again and have a great evening!

Old 06-28-15, 03:22 PM
M

Hello MrRonFL,

I want to thank you and jdh79 for helping me, especially on a Sunday afternoon. I just mentioned to jdh79 the same thing...I only switched one phone line and everything stopped working. I will patiently go through all the lines and see if I can track down the issue. I do want to ask one question. I noticed that the blue and orange lines are connected to 9, 10, and 11 (picture attached). Could the problem be there?

I'll keep you posted. Maybe this can help someone in the future.

Thank you again and have a great evening!

Name:  IMAG1324.jpg
Views: 3573
Size:  39.3 KB

Old 06-28-15, 03:30 PM
J
I'm guessing that the tech used cat5 wire for these zones but that probably has nothing to do with the actual phone lines.

Old 06-28-15, 05:49 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
For this purpose, all that matters are the wires that are attached to the RJ-31x phone jack that the alarm is plugged into for the phone connection.

Old 06-30-15, 05:09 PM
M
Hello MrRonFL & jdh79,

I wanted to get back to you both to thank you for all your help. You both had me on the right track. The solution was really simple. As you both mentioned, apparently the alarm was wired to my office line and my home was connected to the line that I deactivated. All I had to do was use a splitter and connect the home line & the alarm (office) line into the active line on the back of the vonage box. Everything is working now.

Thank you for all you do on this forum. It is greatly appreciated!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: