DIY System + Professional Monitoring

Old 06-29-15, 04:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DIY System + Professional Monitoring

First of all, I'm a novice and consumer, so my knowledge is admittedly limited. I tend to research the hell out of everything I look into buying, but my time is stretched extremely thin and I can't afford to spend enough of it to gain a comprehensive knowledge. So I'll try to keep this simple.

1.) House needs a system. Don't wanna pay inflated prices for equipment. Need monitoring. DIY system + professional monitoring.... possible? (and if so, what are some resources for equipment and reliable monitoring companies.)

Alternatively....

2.) I'm considering FrontPoint because of their monitoring services (....customer service, interactive home, blah blah blah) but, like I said above, don't wanna pay inflated prices for equipment. Sooooo, could I sign up with FP for a given package, and then go out on my own to buy additional sensors and such to add/integrate into the system?

Sponsored Links
Old 06-29-15, 04:48 PM
If you've researched many monitoring options, just look for term length and any auto renewal or price fluctuation...

Frontpoint seems to use Simon XT equipment and you could easily add more sensors if you purchased from third party as long as you have the installer code. I think they send you the equipment and you install it yourself so good chance you have the installer code but they may remote program these and have local programming lock out.

Default installer code on those is 4321.

These systems are fairly easy to program. There are many different types and manufacturers. What exactly would you want it to be able to do aside from detect burglary? This may limit some of the types...

Old 06-29-15, 04:58 PM
In my area, the common burglary tactic has been mid-day forced entry, usually by throwing a brick through a window. With that in mind, my basic aim is to canvas my house with motion detectors and glass break sensors. Further down the line, adding functions to make my home "smarter" seems to be the direction.

Old 06-29-15, 05:24 PM
If you can get a decent amount of equipment for "free" upfront with monitoring, then that is probably better for you then buying a few hundred bucks worth of stuff for the same monitoring service.

GE Simon panels or Honeywell Lynx varieties are going to probably be easiest to program add ons later.

Old 07-03-15, 09:34 AM
Good quality systems are fairly easily to find online at Tremtech and other such places. You can also get monitoring from places like Suretydiy, or have the system professionally monitored once you have it installed and programmed.

Old 07-03-15, 05:13 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
A lot of people who use these forums use Alarm.com. I primarily work with commercial installs, so I have no personal experience with them.