Simon XTI system - two big problems, need help

Old 07-01-15, 04:43 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simon XTI system - two big problems, need help

Hello everyone and thanks in advance for your help here. My Dad just moved into a new house and I'm going to help him set up an alarm system. I have determined that the system in it is a wireless simon xti system. I have two problems but I can't solve the first until I solve the second part of my problem.

The previous owners had the system monitored by protection one, and when I called them they refused to tell me what kind of system it was (I had to figure that out myself later) and told me they'd sell me monitoring for $60 per month or something close. Alarm Relay, whom I use, would charge me $19.95 per month and this includes monitoring using the wireless module, but the catch is that they can't do it until protection one "releases" their hold on the wireless module. I called protection one and asked them about that, to which they replied that it would involve sending a tech out to pick up the wireless module. Alarm Relay however told me that all they have to do is de-register the module with verizon or whichever carrier they're using. If I can't get them to do that, Alarm Relay will sell us a new wireless module for $179. I'd rather not have to do that. I was thinking if I did though, maybe I could sell the old one on Ebay. The problem is would it be worth anything if protection one still has a hold on it?

So I guess my first question is how can I get protection one to break its hold on the wireless module so I can use it, or should I just accept things as they are and pony up for a new wireless module?

Now on to my second, and more pressing problem. The panel will no longer turn on at all. I went by there today and pulled the panel off so I could inspect things and in the process I guess I have messed something up. The panel had a power wire running down to a transformer (9vAC, 25amp) plugged into an outlet. I pulled the panel off the wall and disconnected the a/c power (red and black wires from the screw, but not before I saw a few flashes). I should have unplugged the transformer before I did this I guess, but I didn't. At that point the panel was still on, running on its battery. I noticed the red wire going into the screw was short, and stripped it a bit more and reapplied the screw. The indication on the screen was that there still was no a/c power. So I unplugged the battery, figuring I could be sure if there was power without the battery because it would immediately turn on as I diagnosed it.

It has not turned back on, even when plugging the battery back in. I have unscrewed the red and black wires from the screws on the transformer, and tried to put them back on both red left/black right and black left/red right. I've tested to make sure the outlet has power.

Have I fried this thing, or is it possible to bring it back? I was thinking maybe the transformer is bad, and went to home depot to try to find a replacement but they don't carry them. In any case I suspect it's not the transformer because the unit doesn't even come on when I plug the battery in. I had only had it running on battery power for a few minutes so there should be plenty of juice.

Please, any advice is greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-01-15, 05:30 PM
Sounds like you shorted the transformer and blew its internal fuse. You need a new one ($15 maybe on ebay)

If tye system was fried, it woukd have gone blank right away but once you unplug the battery, it will only restart with the AC power.

As far as monitoring, wireless module.... does protection one own this equipment??
If the answer is no, I would suggest paying for the new module from the other company if that is who you want to use. They should send a tech out as well? They can replace the transformer and get it all working correctly for you.

Old 07-02-15, 02:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
P1 is notoriously uncooperative with the equipment it sells/monitors. They generally will not provide the installer code, and probably won't release the wireless communicator.

You may find your self needing to simply replace the Simon base unit, and start from scratch because of this.

For your hardware problems, yes, replace the transformer.

Old 07-05-15, 04:55 PM
Thank you to everyone who has replied. Based on your suggestions I have ordered in a new transformer. One thing: I didn't notice which side goes to which - is the left supposed to be red and the right ground?(as viewed from the front if it were plugged into a wall)

I don't know for sure if p1 owns the equipment, but they certainly are acting as if they do.

dansecurity - thank you for this recommendation. From the looks of things I can use this instead of buying a new wireless transmitter, but wouldn't I still need some reprogramming? Otherwise it's still going to keep sending the signal to protection 1, even if it does retransmit to my own monitoring company.

Old 07-05-15, 05:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
It's 9VAC. There is no polarity, so it doesn't matter.

Old 07-10-15, 07:10 AM
Most installation companies will be notoriously difficult to release their equipment for use. You wouldn't have to replace the whole base unit though, just the communication module. I think in Simon those are modular and I don't know what other remote services it might communicate with (maybe Tellgard?) but it is likely an Alarm.com module (The original company probably uses Alarm.com and rebrands it.)

$60 is waaaaaaay too much for that by the way. I use suretyDIY and it's less than half that for the full smorgasbord of remote features.