Is it possible to upgrade an ADT keypad?

Old 07-03-15, 11:41 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question Is it possible to upgrade an ADT keypad?

I currently have an ADT Safewatch Pro 3000EN system, and I have the ADT Honeywell 6150 keypad. (Pictured below):
Name:  images.jpg
Views: 4405
Size:  1.8 KB

I want to upgrade to the ADT Honeywell 6160 keypad (Pictured below):
Name:  mR1iS1wTdncb6tBD_OaIkVQ.jpg
Views: 12225
Size:  7.0 KB

Is it possible to take it off the wall, and replace it with the 6160, without programming, or upgrading the entire system (control box).

If I have to program, that is fine, but it would be nice to know in advance, so I can "Study up" on it.

Upstairs we also have an ADT Honeywell 6270, and I am wondering is it possible to replace that with an ADT Honeywell 6160, or is the wiring different because the type of keypad is different.

Here is a photo of the 6270:
Name:  $(KGrHqF,!okFCfH0YIJ8BQrzcO6mlw--_32-260x260-0-0.JPG
Views: 5408
Size:  7.8 KB

As you can see, the system was installed a bit ago, and it would be nice to have new keypads, but if I can do it at home without an installer, I do not want to pay. Keep in mind, I have had experience with things like this in the past, I just want to make sure that they are compatible.

Old 07-03-15, 12:31 PM
C
Received 62 Votes on 57 Posts
Keypads for ADT are unmodified and there is no special problem with replacing them. You will always need to address your keypads (Keypads are addressed at 16, 17, 18, 19...etc). Address 16 is permanently enabled in firmware, but all higher addresses must be enabled, starting in Field *190 Panel Programming for Address 17.

You can enable keypad addresses any time with your 6150 KP. Having an address enabled doesn't mean you have to have a KP on that address, it just allows other keypads to be added when you're ready.

Go to your 6150 and press 1 and 3 simultaneously until it beeps. The KP address will be displayed, probably 16 or 17. If it's 17, that means that you have at least two keypad address enabled and won't need to enable any more. If it's 16, chances are that 17 isn't enabled and you'll need to program *190 to enable a 2nd KP.

I would recommend you address your first 6160 to address 16 because that address will always be enabled--no confusion over that. The instructions for addressing your KP will come with the KP, or you can find it online. Programming an address in the KP is "local keypad programming" and not Panel Programming, it's dead simple and only takes half a minute.

There will be no problem replacing the 6270 TP (aka as an "AUI Device" in Panel Programming) with a 6160 KP--they both use the same 4-wire cable connected to terminals 4, 5, 6, 7 in the control panel.
Before you replace the 6270 with a 6160, you might want to disable the AUI/TP in Panel Programming at *189, enter zero to disable.

NOTE: Power down the panel before replacing Keypads/AUI devices. Many keypads do NOT like to be connected with live wires and may go on permanent strike.

The Safewatch Pro 3000EN is a slightly modified version of Honeywell/Ademco's Vista-20P control panel. You can find the Installation manual (including programming) online.
http://security.livewatch.com//wp-co...rlt~1435951731

Old 07-03-15, 12:34 PM
G
I believe it will be compatible, but the 6160 is an "alpha" keypad, whereas the 6150 is an "icon". That means you may need to program in your zone descriptions (*82).

I'll try to dig up a bit more info.

Old 07-03-15, 12:38 PM
C
You can program in zone descriptions or not--most people do, for convenience--but the keypad works right out of the box as long as it's addressed to an enabled address.

Old 07-03-15, 03:04 PM
L
So what you are saying is...

So what you are saying is that if I take out the old 6150, and put the new 6160 in where the 6150 was (assuming that I upgrade the bracket and all of that good stuff), but I just plug the wires in where the old one was, it should be good to go?

And what about the touch screen? Is there something that I have to do to tell the panel that it is now just a keypad?

Thanks for the help.

I really want to do this myself, because it is like paying for gold for ADT to come out and do it.

Old 07-04-15, 12:27 AM
C
So what you are saying is that if I take out the old 6150, and put the new 6160 in where the 6150 was (assuming that I upgrade the bracket and all of that good stuff), but I just plug the wires in where the old one was, it should be good to go?

Yes, as long as you address the 6160 at "16". I think it comes from the factory (default setting) addressed at "31". Be sure to power down while you switch. The wires will be red, black, yellow and [green or blue]. The Vista-20P instructions say green, but ADT uses blue. Just make sure you change wire for wire, it's not complicated. Read the manual and wiring diagram.
And be sure to power down before switching keypads!

And what about the touch screen? Is there something that I have to do to tell the panel that it is now just a keypad?

As I said, once in panel programming, go to field *189 and enter zero to disable AUI address so the panel won't be looking for a touchpad. Then be sure *190 is enabled--if your existing 6150 KP is at address 17, then *190 is already enabled so you don't need to bother with it.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: