Troubleshoot Zone 05 Not Ready, Vista15p

Old 07-04-15, 07:19 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Troubleshoot Zone 05 Not Ready, Vista15p

Hello Everyone,

I need some help trying to resolve a "Zone not ready" issue I am having. Just some background, I bought the house 2 years ago and at the time the security system was disconnected, no service. It was only now I decided to try and get the security system to work as a stand alone as I figure its there, why not use it. I have no manuals that were left to me, nor the master code. However, following the FAQ here I was able to get my master code.

For reference, my setup:
  • Safewatch Pro 2000 Keypad
  • Vista15p Rev. 1.3
  • Zone 1: Front Door
  • Zone 2: Back Door
  • Zone 3: Garage Door (Embarrassingly, I have no clue where the sensor is but it is not giving me any issues)
  • Zone 4: Motion Detector
  • Zone 5: Basement Window [Currently having an issue]

The very first time I plugged in the AC plug the alarm siren was blaring. I immediately removed the plug and disconnected the siren as I didn't want to try and troubleshoot with the alarm blasting and disturbing the neighbours.

Plugged it back in, put it in programming mode, and wrote down the code. I exited programming mode, put it in chime mode, and the proceeded to open close each zone to see if everything works.
  • Zone 1: Open door I hear the "chirp", Screen shows 01 Not Ready
  • Zone 2: Open door I hear the "chirp", Screen shows 02 Not Ready
  • Zone 3: As I mentioned I don't know where the sensor is and how it should look like so when I opened the garage door I do not hear a "chirp" and the Screen stays at Ready
  • Zone 4: Moving around the motion detector turns red, Screen shows 04 Not Ready
  • Zone 5: Open window I hear the "chirp", Screen shows 05 Not Ready

After each test (with the exception of Zone 3) when I close/stop moving the Ready LED is light up and I can arm/disarm the system.

Now, I go back to the panel, put the wires for the siren back and the alarm starts blaring (is this normal?) when I plug the AC in but this time I have the code to disarm it. When I look at the screen, it shows me Zone 05 not ready?! I just tested it, it worked fine before and the window is still closed.

So right now I cannot arm the system as it showing Zone 05 not ready. I read to try and short it out with either a wire or resistor. Stupid question but do I need to do this with the power on or power off? I didn't want to try anything without the advice of the experts here

Thanks for the help.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-04-15, 07:28 AM
Group Moderator
Received 406 Votes on 382 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

do I need to do this with the power on or power off?
You can test with the alarm system powered.

Remove what you have connected to Z5. Try shorting the point. If it sets up you know it's a loop issue. If it doesn't set up.... try an EOL resistor in place of the short.

After you get the panel to set up.... remove the jumper/resistor. The alarm should not go off. If it does then you have the point programmed incorrectly.

Old 07-04-15, 09:37 AM
Received 14 Votes on 14 Posts
Your siren should not be blaring if your keypad is displaying "Zone 05 not ready" instead of an Alarm message of some stripe.

Just to confirm, your siren wires are connected to terminals 3 and 4? (T3 & T4?)

First priority is to get Z5 squared away--most likely cause is magnet fallen off or misaligned from sensor after you opened window. Recessed magnet and sensor, or surface mount? What kind of window? (double-hung, casement, slider? Wood, vinyl, aluminum, iron frame?) It helps to know these things.

After you get your system showing "Ready to Arm" again, if the siren is still blaring when you connect it to T3 & T4:
If you remove all wires from T3 and measure voltage at T3 & T4, it should show zero volts (or near-zero--sometime a tiny trickle (fraction of a volt) will leak through, but not enough to drive a siren.

Is there a siren driver inside the control cabinet? If so, what model?

(BTW, the "Safewatch Pro 2000" isn't the keypad model, it's ADT's name for your Control Panel, the mother board in the steel cabinet. If the words "ZONE 5 NOT READY" or "READY TO ARM" are displayed in LDC, then you probably have a 6139 keypad.)

Old 07-04-15, 09:30 PM
Hi Pete, thanks for your quick answer.

Remove what you have connected to Z5. Try shorting the point. If it sets up you know it's a loop issue. If it doesn't set up.... try an EOL resistor in place of the short.

After you get the panel to set up.... remove the jumper/resistor. The alarm should not go off. If it does then you have the point programmed incorrectly.
When you say setup does it mean when I plug in the AC and the system boots up?

Old 07-04-15, 09:49 PM
Hi ChosunOne,

Your siren should not be blaring if your keypad is displaying "Zone 05 not ready" instead of an Alarm message of some stripe.
I basically have 2 scenarios.

The first one is when everything is hooked up (all the wires in the panel are connected). As soon as I plug in the AC, the siren goes off. Thats where I have my trusty wife upstairs to input the code to turn it off. On the screen, it first shows "d1", and then "05 Not Ready". I am unable to arm the alarm.

The second one is I disconnect the siren wires. All the zones are good and the screen shows "Ready". I am able to arm the alarm. I know the sensor works in Zone 5 because when I put it in chime mode, open the window, the keypad chirps and I see "05 Not Ready". When I close the window, it changes to Ready.

This is the part I don't get! When the siren wires are out, the Zones show no fault.

Just to confirm, your siren wires are connected to terminals 3 and 4? (T3 & T4?)
Correct, this is how I have it.

First priority is to get Z5 squared away--most likely cause is magnet fallen off or misaligned from sensor after you opened window. Recessed magnet and sensor, or surface mount? What kind of window? (double-hung, casement, slider? Wood, vinyl, aluminum, iron frame?) It helps to know these things.
I'm not sure what kind of sensor but its mounted on a vinyl sliding window. I'll try and take a pic.

After you get your system showing "Ready to Arm" again, if the siren is still blaring when you connect it to T3 & T4:
If you remove all wires from T3 and measure voltage at T3 & T4, it should show zero volts (or near-zero--sometime a tiny trickle (fraction of a volt) will leak through, but not enough to drive a siren.
Thanks, I will try this.

Old 07-05-15, 05:10 PM
Update

UPDATE: I had some 18awg wire laying around so I cut a short length and strip both ends to make my jumper. I also bought a pack of 2000ohm resistors for $1 to be my EOL.

With my alarm system powered on, I removed the wires connecting Zone 05 and inserted my jumper. No change, it still says "05 Not Ready".

I then removed the jumper and put the resistor in its place. The system now says "Ready". I am able to arm/disarm no problem.

So I removed the resistor and placed the Zone 05 wires back and it goes back to the original problem "05 Not Ready".

I am not sure what I need to do next. Please help.

Old 07-05-15, 06:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 32 Votes on 31 Posts
Next simple test: disconnect the wires at the contact and twist them together. Does the zone close? If yes, replace the contact. If no, you have bad wire between the alarm control and your opening.

Old 07-05-15, 06:51 PM
This is the part I don't get! When the siren wires are out, the Zones show no fault.
Siren wiring should not affect zone status.

Old 07-05-15, 07:15 PM
It's working!

Next simple test: disconnect the wires at the contact and twist them together. Does the zone close? If yes, replace the contact. If no, you have bad wire between the alarm control and your opening.
Thanks MrRonFL, your additional test helped me figured it out.

I disconnected the wires and twisted them together but the status still was the same "05 Not Ready". This was not good.

So I just tried swapping the wire placement and BAM, the screen shows "Ready".

I activated Chime mode, went around all the zones opening and closing and all is good.

I am so surprised that the previous home owner left it like this. The only think I touched prior was plugging the AC, attaching the backup battery terminals, and removing removing the siren leads to troubleshoot.

Anyway, all is good now. Thanks for all the helpful posts.

Next step is EnvisaLink 3