DSC installing used keypad- caused alarm, function not available

Old 07-11-15, 05:42 PM
DSC installing used keypad- caused alarm, function not available

How do I reset a keypad that's been already programmed?
I bought it used and it's caused the alarm to go off- hours after arming (so it must be something that was pre programmed). I was able to get into *8 but it doesn't allow this function anymore and I didn't do anything to cause this. Rather strange.
I don't want to reset the panel obviously just the keypad (it has zone labels pre programmed as well).
Since pulling the power the general service trouble code is on and I can't get into *8 to reset it. Could the keypad be defective?

Last edited by boenmoen; 07-11-15 at 06:06 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 07-11-15, 06:05 PM
None of my keypads respond to *8 now...I'm very baffled. I unplugged the battery and socket and it didn't help. Could my new keypad have reprogrammed my panel? I did set the new keypad as partition 1 and 8.

so I swapped my old keypad and put it back where this new one is, the alarm went off (the one I newly bought must of had a hardware disconnection alarm). I keyed in the respective code for the keypad, siren turned off.

update: my system can no longer be armed now, it says "system cannot be armed"
this nightmare is just getting worse.

Last edited by boenmoen; 07-11-15 at 06:25 PM.
Old 07-11-15, 06:27 PM
Try disconnecting the new additional keypad and power cycle panel with only the old one connected. If it works then try with only the new one connected. Might isolate the problem.

Old 07-11-15, 07:02 PM
Thanks, I'll try that. I should note, one partition (guest room) was armed during this entire process, and I swapped keypads from different partitions to test the system. I'll try some things out after the guest comes home.

Old 07-11-15, 09:23 PM
Always a good idea to be completely disarmed while making ay changes. Hopefully everything will work after disarming and power cycle...

Old 07-12-15, 01:01 PM
Problem solved- lesson learned- disarm all partitions before making adjustments / resets otherwise *8 will not function.

I've reset the keypad through [*8][installers code][*][999]
Make very certain you punch in the second * to get into "LCD programming" otherwise you could default the panel itself (if you're just in panel programming)!

tag- function no available