alarm went off but zone not tripped

Old 07-14-15, 11:22 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
alarm went off but zone not tripped

I recently installed a previously used rfk5500 keypad to my existing system, since then it's causing false alarms. I didn't default the keypad so that was my fault but I did default it and "it" is still causing problems.
(reference: keypad eeprom and labels were defaulted, wires at panel checked to be tightly connected already).

A zone that's connected to a window faulted- though there wasn't a break in or usage of that window while armed. So I assume it's the keypad.

---------
Separate Question: If a keypad is swapped into a different partition- does it need to be defaulted before usage? The keypad was not programmed with labels.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-14-15, 01:20 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
The keypad can't cause a zone to fault. More likely you have a door/window contact that is barely in the magnetic range of the magnet on the moving part of the window.

Simple test: put the chime on and bump, thump and jiggle the windows on that zone. If you get a chime, then that's the contact causing the problem.

Old 07-14-15, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
yes, actually when I opened the window nothing sounded, then when I closed it it chimed, then worked afterwards. It's strange that it hasn't faulted when it's disarmed or when I'm home. May be the heat of the day (when I'm out during the day) causing expansion/contraction somewhere.
Anyway I'll check the distance between sensor and magnet, otherwise replace the sensor?

Old 07-14-15, 06:42 PM
Group Moderator
Received 330 Votes on 308 Posts
I would just go ahead and replace the sensor.