Vista 48 Alarm 08

Old 07-16-15, 07:30 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Vista 48 Alarm 08

Hi Guys,
I have recently been getting random alarms in the middle of the night.
It says "Alarm 08" and I can't find from various searches of the manual and internet what that means.
All zones are wireless motion or magnets and I have a 5806 smoke detector.
I do recall that it might be the smoke detector but I'm not sure now.
All other zones have proper descriptors like "front door" so I don't think it's any of them.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks
Paul

Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-15, 12:04 AM
Something is wired on zone 8. The message you see "ALARM 08" is saying something is triggering that zone.

I would look inside the main panel box and see what wires are connected to that zone, terminals 19 and 20.

Old 07-17-15, 06:12 AM
Thanks for responding!
19 goes to the tamper switch on the board. A wire from the tamper switch then goes out of the board to where I don't know. A wire comes backs to the board from the same cable and connects to 18. I'm guessing two tamper switches in series?
The same cable to the panel has two other wires, one connected to 5 and the other connected to Trig 2.
I think, but not sure, that the only hard wired parts of the system are the remote entry panel and the indoor and outdoor sirens. All sensors are wireless. There is a power cable and the telephone cable which we don't use.
Does this help?
Cheers
Paul

Last edited by stevenson53; 07-17-15 at 06:30 AM.
Old 07-17-15, 07:40 AM
Check the remote entry panel and the indoor and outdoor sirens for tamper switches. These would be if you opened the cover, the switch would activate. And/or in the case of some sirens, if the whole box is removed from the wall, there may be another tamper or same tamper which triggers.

Also the telephone box could have a tamper installed on it.

Some of these tampers are not "sealed" and the contacts inside can get dirty - cause high electrical resistance. A short term solution is to press on the switch button repeatedly and that cleans the contacts. But you will eventually have the same problem again.

Better is to install a magnetic "sealed in glass" reed contact switch like this...
https://startingelectronics.org/begi...ensor-open.jpg

If you know how to use a multimeter, check the resistance of that line/switches. There may be an end of line resistor which would need to be jumped to read the resistance of the line and switches. A bad switch will have a high resistance which varies/changes - banging on the box will make the resistance of the switch change. Operating the switch multiple times will make that a steady reading.

Old 07-17-15, 12:27 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
"19 goes to the tamper switch on the board. A wire from the tamper switch then goes out of the board to where I don't know. A wire comes backs to the board from the same cable and connects to 18. I'm guessing two tamper switches in series?"

What you're describing is the zone loop for Zone 7, not Zone 8. Look at the wiring diagram for your panel--it should be on the inside of the door of your control cabinet. Also, you should download an Installation Manual for your Honeywell Vista-48 if you don't already have one. The wiring diagram (Figure 17, Summary of Connections) is near the back of the manual.

If you'll look at the wiring diagram, you'll see that T19 (Terminal 19) is the common ground for Zones 7 and 8. Zone 7 is the loop starting at T18 and returning at T19; Zone 8 is the loop starting at T20 and returning at T19.

It does sound as if you have tamper switches on Zone 7, but that zone isn't giving you trouble: Zone 8 is. You should be looking for what's on T20 and comes back on T19.

If nothing is connected to T20, then this would be the time to mention it. Zone 8 is obviously not disabled, and nothing connected to T20 would be one symptom of a serious problem, possibly with the panel itself.

If there's a resistor or a plain wire jumper connected across T19 and T20, this would also be the time to mention it. It could just be a loose connection at T19 or T20.

But normally, when something is connected to Zones 7 and 8, I expect to see one wire at T20 and two wires on T19. Sometimes the wiring into the panel is like a mess of spaghetti and it can be difficult to trace the return wire to the common ground, but it sounds like you've already got Z7 pegged already, so if there's a Z8 loop, it will be obvious.

Old 07-17-15, 06:24 PM
Thanks for that Bill and will start checking the tamper switches as suggested.

Old 07-17-15, 06:28 PM
Chosunone, how r u, I do believe you helped me out a few years back!
Ok you are right, 20 goes out to the tamper switch and the other wire comes back to 19.
Can't believe I got that wrong but in my defence it was 1am!
Ok so I guess I have to go hunt a faulty tamper switch!

Old 07-17-15, 07:01 PM
Problem solved I think!

Ok it looks like it was the main board door tamper switch! I tested it and it was a bit dicky so I used a switch cleaner and it seems to work better now.
I also noticed that the door doesnt shut firmly and that there is a large hole behind the panel for the cables which goes out the back of the house. We now recall getting the alarms on windy nights and we get a lot of wind pressure in our very exposed house and I have a theory that the wind pressure was psssing through the panel via the house and rear hole and moving the door a little hence triggering a sensitive door tamper switch. We have a cat flap in the same outside wall that the panel is on and on windy nights you can see it opening and shutting when it's windy! I have stuffed up the hole and tightened door catch up so hopefully wind pressure will now be eliminated.
Thanks guys for your help and fingers crossed all is well now.

Old 07-17-15, 07:14 PM
I think I used to be called buster53 when u last helped me chosunone!

Old 07-17-15, 10:45 PM
That ring a bell, Stevenson/Buster. Are you in Australia, or do I have you confused with someone else in my memory?

Old 07-18-15, 05:55 AM
That's me Chosunone, Sydney Australia, you helped me when I first started messing with my alarm. I installed a new panel and you helped me program it and find the problems I was having. You did a good job then and still r it seems!
Thanks!

Old 07-18-15, 05:59 AM
I sent you an email a couple of days ago but u must have changed your email address.

Old 07-18-15, 08:59 AM
No, same email address. Just found your email and replied. I'm certain I checked my email a couple of times after the time/date it supposedly came in, and it wasn't there then. Yahoo does that to me sometimes: Hangs up the mail in the system and then pretends it delivered it on time.

Old 07-19-15, 01:11 AM
I think this one is sorted now mate so till the next time, thanks for the help.