Cameras and outdoor flood lights

Old 07-26-15, 09:58 AM
L
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Cameras and outdoor flood lights

Guys

I'm in the process of buying security cameras and outdoor solar lights. The house has a driveway and a detached garage at the end of it about 20 feet from the home. I'm thinking of Sharx security camera with Infrared and Sunforce 900 lumens solar lights. I have some fundamental questions. My house has enough street lighting in the front yard for advanced cameras to provide a good picture and even backyard gets some light from neighboring homes

1) Having said that, do outdoor lights still serve a purpose? I think they do given a thief would be more encouraged to do his work in complete darkness and a camera by itself may not deter them. I guess it also gives us visibility from the 2nd floor to view anybody who is down in the yard at night

2) If I should get both, is it best to position the camera and the light adjacent to each other and pointing at the scene vs having them mounted across from each other in the backyard? Would the outdoor lights somehow interfere with the IR capabilities of the camera or the cameras have auto-focus and auto-exposure that they'll handle this fine and just treat the night as a day scene when the outdoor light comes on (stays on only for 2 mins)

Thanks

Old 07-26-15, 10:40 AM
Group Moderator
Received 1,526 Votes on 1,409 Posts
You never want any outdoor lighting to point into the camera as that will shut down the iris yielding a dark and unusable picture.

Old 07-26-15, 10:43 AM
J
Most cameras auto adjust focus and from light / dark. Just be sure the light isnt in a position to blind the camera if it is too bright then that is all you will see.

Old 07-26-15, 11:52 AM
P
Group Moderator
Received 910 Votes on 838 Posts
I personally am not a big fan of IR (night vision) cameras unless you have need to use illumination that is not visible to the human eye. In most security cases if the camera needs light to see why not use visible light? The visible light provides a deterrent to thieves, allows the camera to see and possibly see in color and gives you light to walk around the yard or out to the garage. If you're burning electricity to make light why not make it light you can see?

I'm an odd duck. I like darkness. I live way out in the country and hate outdoor lights. When I walk outside at night I want to see the lightning bugs and stars so i have IR illuminators on the outside of the house. In the garages I have low level fluorescent and LED lighting that comes on when it's dark to provide illumination for the interior cameras to work and I get the benefit of not bumping into things when I walk into the garage and am too lazy to flip the light switch.

If you are thinking you'll be sneaky with IR illuminated cameras just know that any digital camera can see the IR illumination. All a thief has to do is point their cell phone camera at your house to tell if the cameras or at least the IR illuminators are working.

Old 07-26-15, 06:39 PM
L
so in terms of positioning, it seems you guys agree that i can keep the camera and outdoor solar light adjacent to each other (maybe 2 feet apart) and both will be angled towards the scene. Sounds good?

Old 07-26-15, 08:56 PM
Group Moderator
Received 1,526 Votes on 1,409 Posts
Sounds like a plan to me.

Old 07-28-15, 10:56 AM
L
One more question. Haven't moved in yet but looking from my 2nd floor room, there may be a use case around having control of these outdoor lights and being able to turn them on from the 2nd floor. Is anybody aware of a remotely controlled light or having it connect via PoE and tied into my home automation system?

Thanks

Old 07-29-15, 09:32 AM
B
You can do that many different ways with hardwired lighting. Search google.com for the following words...

home automation hardwired controller

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: