Update Ademco Vista-10SE

Old 07-28-15, 01:51 PM
J
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Update Ademco Vista-10SE

New-to-me house with a wired Vista-10SE system, using (3) 6128 keypads. Zone 1 is wired to front/rear doors, and is faulted constantly. The wiring seems to be bad. I want to update to a wireless capable system and replace all three keypads. From the forum, I understand that I need to update to one RF keypad, but I also need an alpha-numeric keypad for programming. Will the following work?

Replace 1 keypad with 6150RF to add wireless (better to put downstairs?)
Replace 1 keypad with 6160 to add alpha-numeric
Replace final keypad with 6150 because it's a little cheaper (or get another 6160?)

Disable zone 1 from faulting by removing the wiring in the control box (or put in a permanent bypass?)

Add two wireless door sensors for faulty front/back door (suggestions for least obtrusive model? -- these will be frequently used/seen doors)

This is the minimum I want to accomplish. If successful, I would probably add some key fobs and wireless smoke detectors into the system.

From what I have read, this seems to be a near plug-and-play solution for my existing control box, but this is the first time I've given any thought to security systems, so I would appreciate any experience from others, especially if the setup is going to be a nightmare. I also have a quote to replace the whole system, but it will run me about another K versus DIY.

Thanks to all for the past help on this forum, and in advance for any responses!

--javasnow

Old 07-28-15, 02:19 PM
J
Your plan sounds good. 1 6160 keypad is all you really need, it would be for your own preference if you added another. They also make a 6160rf for a little more money.

Keep in mind, you can use a 6128rf and 6139 alpha pad (older style like you have currently) if that is helpful as another option.

In programming, RF has to be enabled by field 22 ( *22 2 )
Wireless zones start on zone 10.

5818mnl is wireless recessed (hidden) contact. Probably replace your wired sensors with these in same location just bigger hole and keep existing magnet in place. If you old ones are button switches, give them a good whack before replacing to be sure they arent just stuck.

It would be cheaper to replace the contacts if you wanted to keep them wired as long as the wiring is good. Few simple tests you can find out....

Old 07-28-15, 02:55 PM
J
Thanks, jdh79. I wasn't able to source those older models, and I'm fine with the costs of the newer ones.

Is it accurate that the 6160 and 6150RF should swap in with little trouble into the Vista-10SE? Just 4 wires into the right spots? It seemed to be the case to me.

Also, will disconnecting the zone 1 wires in the control box effectively remove zone 1 from the system, or do I need to program them out somehow as well?

Thanks again.

--javasnow

Old 07-28-15, 03:25 PM
J
Swap wires and address each keypad 31. Should be default setting.

You can either use a jumper wire or disable zone 1 in programming *56. Set as type 00 * and 1 to confirm delete.

Old 07-28-15, 07:30 PM
J
Thanks again, jdh79. I really appreciate the time you took to respond (twice). I'll give it a try and see how things go! Will update if I encounter any surprises...

--javasnow

Old 07-28-15, 08:01 PM
J
No problem.

Just remember, never a bad idea to power down system before swapping keypads. I typically wouldnt myself but be careful not to short the wires together and potentially cause damage to your control panel. 9 times out of 10, a brief short only leads to power reset but cant always be sure.

Best regards!

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: