Honeywell wired door contacts?

Old 08-27-15, 09:01 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Honeywell wired door contacts?

Quick question- I have a Honeywell Ademco 10** and recently replaced my back door. The chime started to go off intermittently so I temporarily bypassed until I received new contact and magnet. Replaced those and realized that now I was getting the error from the front door...I have ordered replacements for it as well but am wondering if this is some sign of a deeper problem or mere coincidince. I have owned the house for almost 10 years, and I believe the system was installed not long before I purchased it. Thanks for any insight!

Sponsored Links
Old 08-27-15, 09:04 AM
Clarification

Sorry was not clear^ When I replaced the door I reused the existing magnet and contact.

Old 08-27-15, 09:24 AM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Magnetic switches are fairly reliable.

Are your two doors on the same zone ?
Many times the entry doors are on a single delayed zone. If that's the case then either door can cause the zone to fault.

The gap between the switch and magnet is pretty critical for reliable operation.

Old 08-27-15, 01:48 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Also, the door contacts need to be very close to centered with the matching magnet, if they are too off center, that will cause the kind of random activation that you are describing.

Remember, these things are just magnetically actuated switches.

Old 08-27-15, 02:43 PM
Doors are on seperate zones, I had no problems prior to replacing the back door- I did not have good alignment as the new door was thicker, so I used a 3/4 inch sensor to make up the difference. I bypassed the back door while i was waiting for the sensor. Today I installed it and to my suprise the panel would not go into ready mode. I bypassed each zone individually and determined that the front door was not longer registering- I have done nothing to the front door and it has operated fine for years. Looking at the alignment- it is off a little but again has been working fine for 10 years. Waiting for a new contact and magnet as they are cheap, but curious as to how/why this is happening. Tested resistance of old sensor and reads .2 when placed under magnet...too high? I would think that overload to any contact should be fine for such a simple switch, but that's why I'm asking! Ha.

Old 08-27-15, 04:04 PM
Group Moderator
Received 340 Votes on 318 Posts
.2 ohms should be fine to put the zone in normal.

Old 08-27-15, 08:45 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Whaley posted:
"I have done nothing to the front door and it has operated fine for years. Looking at the alignment- it is off a little but again has been working fine for 10 years."

I fixed thousands of misaligned door/window contacts that had worked fine for many years. The fact is that houses shift with age, and doors sometimes shrink or warp, not enough to cause much of a closing problem, but just enough to throw off the magnetic switch closure. That's why it's so important to get d/w mags and switches aligned perfectly at installation: To allow for any future shifting/warping.

Before you replace the contact again, I recommend testing the switch by manually holding an extra magnet to the switch and making it chime.

A slightly misaligned and/or increased gap can usually be easily fixed by installing a second 3/8" magnet right next to the first. You have to match magnetic polarity--hold the new magnet to the exposed end of the existing magnet and make sure they push, not pull, at each other. The pushing end is the end that will be visible when installed. That increases the magnetic field "reaching" for the mag switch, and extends the closure margin. If that doesn't fix the problem, the extra magnet doesn't hurt anything--it doesn't give enough extra margin to compromise security.

BTW, I didn't understand what you meant by "Honeywell Ademco 10**" Would that be a Honeywell Ademco Vista-10SE? Not that it matters to the issue at hand, just curious.

EDIT: I had an afterthought: Is there any chance you inadvertently eliminated the End Of Line Resistor when you changed the original contact? Those things are small and can get hidden in electrical tape on the splices. Do you have an EOLR on that zone, and do you know where it is?