GE Concord 4 - clearing "trouble - SIREN" after replacing backup battery

Old 08-29-15, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Concord 4 - clearing "trouble - SIREN" after replacing backup battery

My GE Concord 4 Series home security system has run flawlessly for the last 8 years. Last week, I received the "CPU Battery Low" system fault with the associated beeps. I have since replaced the 12V 4.5ah battery (30 hours ago). [Unplug old battery, unplug system, plug new battery in, plug system in to AC power]. The panel constantly displays "Press Status"; and when you press "*" either once or twice, the "trouble SIREN" displays. The ready light will not come on either.

I have the full manual, and there is no mention of this fault. Testing the siren/panic mode for Fire, Police, Medical all sound the siren. After testing the 3 panic buttons, the "ready" light stays on for a few seconds, and then goes off (so I know the light works).

Pressing the * + * initially gave a "set time" and "SIREN" fault. After setting the time, the only fault is "SIREN". All sensors are tested via sensor test method and are working fine, however, the green "Ready" light will now not go on. I have the master code, and for the life of me, cannot get to any menu that clears the faults, or allows me to "ready" the system and clear the "SIREN" trouble.

I'm at a loss.

Sponsored Links
Old 08-29-15, 08:49 PM
The siren works fine, but no, I didn't try to replace it. In fact, what is strange is that I can arm the system (only tried in the "stay" mode since I was testing it), and it arms - which is contrary to what the manual states, which is that you cannot arm the system without the "Ready" light on.

Old 08-30-15, 05:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Try a full reboot. Power down with AC and battery and then re-start the system.

Old 08-30-15, 08:21 AM
I did that last evening - unplugged the AC, disconnected the battery for about 1/2 an hour. Plugged the battery in, then the AC adapter. Same - (had to re-set the time, of course). No difference, and at exactly 8 am, the 5 beeps are still there. I did try to view the event history by pressing 8 code 8, and it doesn't do anything besides go back to the home display screen. I'm wondering if the main board is toast.

Old 08-31-15, 02:50 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The siren trouble would normally indicate that there's no continuity on the siren loop, but that's clearly not the case. I think that you may be right, and your system board is on borrowed time.

Old 08-31-15, 07:54 AM
Is is possible to install some sort of resistance to the siren loop to at least get it to think that a siren is there? Right now there's only a speaker (indoor), and no siren. That circuit is open.

Old 08-31-15, 08:41 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You can try putting a 2k resistor across those terminals, but if you never needed one before, and made no changes to the programming to make the system look for a siren, I suspect that it won't help.

Old 08-31-15, 10:01 AM
Well, you'll love this one - I disconnected the battery and the AC power, moved the speaker wires from Output 1 and GRND to SPKR SPKR (terminals 7 and 8), plugged in the battery, and plugged in the AC, and all is well. Green "Ready" light is back on, and the speaker (indoor) sounds when triggering any of the 3 panic buttons (Fire, Police, Aux/Med). I have no idea what happened, and it's still frustrating that I can't get into the installer/dealer programming menu (the original installer went out of business).

I did pull the EEPROM to see if it would default to installer code of 4321 but no joy. I have a feeling that if the system ever needs real reprogramming that a new system board is in order. I looked and am getting conflicting info on the correct part number (some state that the 59-851-95R-AR board will NOT drive the "Armed" and "Ready" lights, so I'm at a bit of a loss for a new system board and the correct part #, if I would ever need one).

Thanks MrRon and others for all of your input - very much appreciated.

Old 08-31-15, 12:33 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
It sounds like someone was fooling around with the wiring, but didn't understand what was supposed to connect to what.

IF the original installer didn't use the installer lockout feature or a dealer code; you do have the option of defaulting the system (memory clear), but that means reprogramming from scratch.

Old 08-31-15, 12:54 PM
With the install and user manual in hand, I've tried everything I know to get to the CLEAR MEMORY option, which requires getting into the actual system programming menu. From what I understand, I need to be in the installer/dealer mode. Can't get there with what I've got.. 4321, 1234, my own Master Code, etc. I have a feeling they locked it. For reference purposes, and suppose I did want to someday reprogram the system, how would I perform a memory clear (to let you know that I did power off and pull the EEPROM chip, hoping to clear everything - didn't work).

Old 08-31-15, 01:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Older concords had a physical shorting point that could be used to default the panel; the 4 doesn't. The concords are reasonably nice systems, in general, but they do seem to be designed to make it very difficult to overcome installer lockdown.

Basically, to start over, it's less headache to replace the main board. Since it sounds like you need programming keypad, as well, you might come out better to just get one of the kits with the programming keypad.

Old 08-31-15, 03:30 PM
There are several of the 59-851-95R-AR main boards available, but one of the sellers states that it CANNOT be programmed with the FTP-1000 (versus the ATP-1000) keypad. The FTP, I thought, is a higher end keypad, and has the "Ready" and "Armed" status LED's on the front. I can't find anywhere that confirms that, and cannot find any other main board aside from the 59-851-95R-AR.

I know this is getting granular, but if anyone has programmed the Concord 4 (600-1021-95R) with an 59-851-95R-AR replacement board, it would be great to know that it's possible.

Old 09-01-15, 02:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Page 9 of the installer manual has the list of programming keypads: http://www.myalarm.com/manuals_prog/GEITIConcord4.pdf

Old 09-01-15, 06:57 AM
Mr Ron - thank you for the detail. It has become apparent that the FTP1000 is not able to get into the programming menu, which seems odd, as there are 3 with my system, and no others. I've ordered the ATP1000 and will see next week when it arrives if I can actually get deeper into the system (if not, it's a new system board). Another technical person stated the original programming may have been in partition 2, and when the power went out, coupled with a low battery, the system defaulted to partition 1, which then started the siren trouble.

Thank you again for your expertise and willingness to participate.

Cheers!

Old 09-01-15, 01:01 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What often happens, is that the installing tech uses a programming keypad as a temporary hook-up. It's how they beat the price down, as the programming keypads are a good bit more expensive.

Old 09-01-15, 07:26 PM
You can turn off siren supervision in panel programming.....

There is no MEMORY CLEAR reset on any version on Concord...Only Concord Express

Old 09-02-15, 02:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Ah, the Concord Express was what I was remembering. Again, a very "locked down" system design, by intent...