DSC 1832 - All wireless zones show closed even when open

Old 08-30-15, 05:52 PM
DSC 1832 - All wireless zones show closed even when open

Our system has worked find since I installed it 1.5 years ago. I have an DSC 1832 Panel with a wired keypad. Attached is a TR5164 wireless receiver with 6 door/window sensors. I use the Connect2Go module to arm and disarm the system from outside house.
I set the system on Friday evening around 7:30pm. On Saturday around 5:30pm I receive 6 text messages from the Connect2Go that states 'Security Event: (senors names) Trouble'.
We get home and my keypad shows the trouble and states that all doors and windows are closed even though we have some of them open. I unplugged the system and remove the backup battery for a full minute before returning AC and Battery power. The system powers up. No longer showing trouble on the keypad but shows green check mark and system ready even though I have multiple doors open. I checked and all addresses of the various sensors are still stored. I removed the TR5164 cover and received a Tamper message so it appears that the module is communicating with the panel.
Any ideas where to look next?

Sponsored Links
Old 08-30-15, 06:36 PM
Sounds like you need to set the attributes for each zone to wireless, option 8 on... Check you programming manual.

Old 08-30-15, 07:00 PM
jdh79

Sounds like you need to set the attributes for each zone to wireless, option 8 on... Check you programming manual.
I took a look and each zone has has option 8 on. I went on to test and shut 8 off on one of zones and exited programming. Display showed open zone. Entered programming again and turned 8 back on for the zone. Exited programming and display shows ready again. I open the door and no change. System remains ready.

Old 08-30-15, 10:16 PM
I would try to delete one of the zones and reenroll that sensor in s rf offered zone space. Then see if it works, better if you can use auto enroll with that transceiver.

Seems strange that this would just happen all at once unless there is a problem with the receiver communication from the sensors. (Didn't notice you have had this 1.5 years already in my first reply) If you had any storms or wires moved around then that may caused the issue?

Old 08-30-15, 10:21 PM
I can't explain the original trouble messages without knowing more. However...

When your control panel is first powered up, OR upon exiting programming, it's normal for it to show all wireless sensors as being "Ready": That's its default setting until it hears from the sensors.
Remember that the control panel only knows the state (open or closed or tamper-open) of each wireless zone when that zone transmitter sends a signal. On power-up, the panel uses the default state, "Ready", for all wireless zones until it hears the first transmission. All transmission -before- it was powered down OR put in Program Mode are forgotten.
Each transmitter sends a "check-in" signal each hour (actually a tad less) that includes a status signal (Open, closed, tamper, low-battery, etc). So you may have to wait for an hour after a power-up or exiting Program Mode for the panel to know the status of all the transmitters. -Then- you can begin looking for troubles.

If -all- your sensors are reporting trouble, I would suspect the receiver. If only one or a few are in trouble, I would look at those transmitters, especially whether the cover(s) is/are on securely. Does the KP display (an hour after power-up or exiting Programming) give any more information than "Trouble" on that/those zones?

Old 08-31-15, 01:14 PM
I will to remove and reenroll a switch and see if that does anything.

After rebooting the system and getting the ready screen I opened several doors and still got Ready and no response that the zones were open. The system is not even report troubles any more.
I feel like my receiver has took a crap on me.

Old 08-31-15, 01:32 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What are the zone numbers?

Old 08-31-15, 01:57 PM
Zones 1-7 are all I have programmed and each of them are wireless switches and one motion detector. No hardwired zones. I was going to put a jumper on zone 1 and switch off option 8 (wireless) for that zone and see if the system responds to opening and closing of that zone by opening the wire and closing it back. Not sure that would tell me much other than the board itself is working and that wireless isn't (which already seems to be the case).

Old 08-31-15, 06:29 PM
Well to add more to the mess.

This evening, around 7:45, just setting down for dinner, the Key Pad beeps for troubles and 7 trouble messages come through my text messages. One for each zone. I have not touched the KP since last night. The trouble light remains on on the KP and trouble messages are Zone faults for every zone.
Also states that all zone are now open (all are physically closed).

Would you agree that the receiver is done for?

Old 09-01-15, 02:28 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
At this point, since this was working previously, I am leaning toward a failed receiver module.

Old 09-01-15, 06:19 PM
This is driving me crazy. I picked up another TR5164 today. I went to remove the old one from the wall. Went I took the cover off I almost instantly got a tamper message. I also noticed that LED 05 which is yellow was on solid. According to the book "On when RF interference is high." I thought this was odd being that the unit has been on the wall for 1.5 years with no issues and all of a sudden after being armed for almost 24 hours and no one in the house, I got my troubles

I went ahead and swapped out with the new unit. Powered up the panel and connected the battery. Returned to my KP and manually enrolled my 7 senors and 2 keys. Exited programming and opened and closed a few doors. No response. Still shows all zones closed and a trouble.
I go back to the TR5164 box, open it up and it too is showing LED 05 on solid. I'm guessing I just bought a new TR5164 when it wasn't necessary. Money wasted

Am I under RF attack from somewhere? Only thing I can think to try next is to get a long 4-wire wire to connect to the module and move it around to see if the RF interference will go away. Anything else one would recommend to try.

Old 09-02-15, 02:30 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Not likely under attack. We just live in a very "noisy" RF environment, compared to even a few years ago.

Try turning off all of the other RF producing devices in the house and turning them back on one-by-one.

Old 09-02-15, 07:35 PM
Any other ideas?

I turned off and unplugged pretty much every electrical item in my house. Never did get the LED 05 to turn off in the TR5164.

I went on to remove the TR5164 & Connect2Go from the BUS. Removed option 8 from all zones. Turned off all zones from [202]. Essentially to the point where it wasn't looking for anything. Got the ready light with no troubles on the KP.

Reconnected the TR5164. Re-powered. LED 05 remained on. Turned on option 8 on one zone and also re-added it to [202]. Opened the door and no response. Still green check mark.

I think This RF issue is blocking the signals I believe. I put a 40' wire on the TR5164 and never could get the LED 05 to go off. I'm bummed! Any ideas from this point?

Thanks for the help so far

Old 09-30-15, 03:16 AM
So i pulled the panel and took it to my camp a short drive away and powered it up. The LED 05 is off. I guess all signs point to something near my house is now causing some major interference. Aggravating to say the least! I've loved my set up with the use of Connect2Go and having the simple free arming and disarming and alerts through my phone. Any recommendations going forward? I need to get something installed and hardwired is really not much of an option(except siren, keypad, and wireless reciever).

Old 09-30-15, 04:19 PM
Try relocating the 5164.

Grab 20 or so feet multi conductor wire and use it as kind of an extension cord so you can freely experiment with new locations. A better spot may help the situation.

Old 09-30-15, 05:19 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
These things work at 433mhz, which is normally a fairly clean frequency range. Could you have a neighbor that that's taken up Ham radio and has a fairly powerful rig?

Old 09-30-15, 06:45 PM
It certainly sounds like the receiver has gone deaf. Could be external or internal and it sounds like you eliminated internal.

External:
In addition to previous suggestions, have you installed or replaced any lightbulbs or lighting systems? In particular LED, CFL and possibly halogen. Some can produce strong RF noise; if a dimmer is involved, try shutting it down.

New computer power supply, UPS, flat screen TV, flat screen monitor or power-cube?

Has the power company installed a "smart meter" at or near your house? (a stretch, but I have heard of a few issues.)

Think of everything that changed just as the trouble started.

A cheap portable AM radio (REALLY cheap) can sometimes be used to locate interference (directional antenna works best here). Listen across the entire tuning range for something different. If you find something, tune away from it until you can just hear it and start turning around. If you hear it increase, start following. You may want to walk in steadily increasing spiral if the source is not in your home.

Old 10-02-15, 08:59 PM
I'm putting this thread to rest. I have no idea what ended up being the issue. Upon returning to my home and testing the system on the work bench, the LED 05 remained off. All of a sudden it appears to be working. I have now reinstalled the whole system, wireless receiver, keypads, door/window switches and motions. Everything is working now. I have no explanation what so ever. Thanks for the tips and ideas along the way that was offered my way!