Ademco 6128 Programming

Old 09-12-15, 03:58 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Ademco 6128 Programming

Hi, I seem to be stuck on programming Zones... I ordered a replacement keypad after my son accidently broke the original Ademco 6128 ... After receiving the exact model via Ebay, I was able to reset the Installer Code and Master Code... All programming documentation that I have painstakingly search and followed from the internet will not get me past the '20' on the screen. The only zone that is working is the front door (zone one)... and I was hoping someone can help me get through this with some programming help

I have a Ademco 6128 Keypad and a Ademco vista 20 panel... with E2 programming....thanks

Scott from CanadaName:  IMG_1817.jpg
Views: 859
Size:  31.7 KB

Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-15, 05:30 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
Breaking the keypad shouldn't have changed any of the programming. I'm puzzled why you think you need to re-program the zones. Was some other damage done to the system besides the keypad? Were the zones all working before the keypad was broken?

What do you mean when you say the other zones (how many?) "aren't working"? What are they doing or not doing?

I STRONGLY recommend you not try to *56 Zone programming with a 6128 or anything except a 6160 Alphanumeric Keypad, or even an older 6139 KP if you can find it cheaper.

KPs like 6128 and 6139 are automatically older (used longer) than the 6150s and 6160s that replaced them, but for some reason they cost as much (or nearly as much) on eBay. You don't NEED an exact replacement. The Vista-20P is totally compatible with all the keypads mentioned.

*56 Zone Programming is interactive programming and you need the feedback from the 2-line Alpha display to navigate through the *56 programming and even to exit from it properly.

Really, spend the money for a 6160 before you foul your programming further.
Assuming you need to go into your *56 programming at all. I still don't know why you think you need to modify your programming.

Last edited by ChosunOne; 09-12-15 at 05:45 PM.
Old 09-13-15, 12:45 PM
Thanks Chosen One! I bought a new keypad to replace the old one... My son shot a nerf arrow and broke the LCD... the buttons were also very hard to use as you had to apply lots of pressure...

When I say that the zones aren't working... it means that the back to the house no longer chimes...and more importantly, does not set off the alarm when I tested the system... The basement windows no longer chime either...

I assumed that the programming resided within the keypad, so I assumed that the person that I bought it on Ebay from, didn't have that programming set up... Am I wrong?

I really appreciated your feeback and advise and think that I will take it to purchase a new alpha numeric keypad...

Old 09-13-15, 03:30 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
The keypad is just an interface. All programming resides in the system control board. If you didn't attempt to modify the zone programming, then everything should work as it previously did.

Bear in mind, the chime feature isn't on automatically. It does have to be turned on. When you are testing the zones, don't forget, even in stay mode, the exit delay still runs...

Old 09-13-15, 03:42 PM
Is there... 1) a chance that the Ademco keypad I bought was defective? and; 2) could I have mucked up the programming as I did attempt to follow some online instructions using the *56 programming... ?? thanks for your response(s)
scott

Old 09-13-15, 06:47 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
If you attempted to alter the zone programming, you could have easily messed up the zone configuration. The only way to view the zone programming and fix it correctly requires an alpha model keypad (6139 or 6160).

You can get a functional but cosmetically marred one and use it for programming, relatively cheaply.

Make sure you are using the right programming reference: It looks like you have a Vista 20se. If you were using the Vista 20p instructions, that will get you even more lost.

http://www.reedsecurity.com/pdf/Vista20SEUserManual.pdf