Simon XTI - external siren

Old 09-12-15, 04:49 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Simon XTI - external siren

I was considering putting an external siren to my Simon XTi system since the internal siren in the panel is so weak. The Bloodhound siren recommended by my alarm company may be a slight improvement but I am looking for a much louder alternative. That led me to this DIY forum.
There had not been any activities on this thread for over a year, I wonder if I can still get some help from the previous posters.
My experience with electronics is very limited but I did work on circuit boards and wiring when I built several desktop computers. Anyway, I read this entire thread many times and investigated where I can get all the parts. I think I should be to handle it and put a loud enough siren in my garage. My budget is about $100 and I think I can stay within that amount. I intend to put the RBSNTTL and AL624 boards and the backup battery into a plastic project box. I do have several questions regarding this build:
1) Is 40 feet of wire too long to run between the Simon XTI panel to this box?
2) How do I mount the circuit boards in the box? The AL624 seemed to have holes on the board so I can use standoff fasteners just like the computer motherboards. The RBSNTTL has no holes, I can't come up a home made method to mount it.
3) The project box is a complete enclosed box. I will drill some holes to let wiring to go in and out of it. Beyond that, do I need more holes for heat ventilation purpose?
If someone had built one of this device, posting a picture will be a big help!
Thank you.

Separated from....
http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-sirens-2.html

Last edited by PJmax; 09-12-15 at 04:58 PM. Reason: started new thread
Sponsored Links
Old 09-12-15, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
Received 338 Votes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

That other thread was getting too long to keep going so I started a new thread for you.

Since you are using a control relay at the audible end you can run a lot of wire with no voltage drop. 40' is no problem at all.

That relay comes with two self stick pads. Just stick it into your project box.

What are you using for a project box ?
Are you using a back-up 12v battery for the audible ?