Issue with Honeywell Ademco Vista 20 Series Alarm - Keypad Beeping and Dying

Old 09-18-15, 01:23 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Issue with Honeywell Ademco Vista 20 Series Alarm - Keypad Beeping and Dying

One of the keypads on my Ademco Vista 20 Series alarm system lets out a beep every 15 minutes or so and then goes dark. After a while, it comes back on. The second keypad in the house works perfectly.

There is no battery warning and I have powered cycled the entire system multiple times.

Any suggestions on what could be the problem? Could the keypad unit be the issue or could it be a problem with the main board of the system?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-18-15, 07:18 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
Could it possibly be a battery powered wireless keypad?

Old 09-19-15, 04:57 AM
The keypad is actually wired. After a quick talk with a local alarm tech (who was more than happy to give me free advice over the phone, a refreshing attitude in this day and age), I checked the wiring on the back of the keypad (made sure all four wires were properly connected) and did the same on the main box.

I then powered down the entire unit for several hours. It now seems to be working fine, so I am not sure if it was the wiring or the extended time being powered down.

Old 09-19-15, 08:00 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
It could be wiring, or it could be a keypad living on borrowed time. If it does it again, the next test is to temporarily connect it at the control board with a length of known good wire. If it glitches under that scenario, then it's time to replace the keypad.

Old 09-19-15, 08:43 AM
Agreed, and thanks for the advice!

Old 09-24-15, 01:12 PM
Here is an update. I swapped the location of problem keypad and the keypad that was working fine and the problem keypad was doing the same thing in the new location. That told me the keypad was the problem.

I purchased a new 6150 keypad, wired it up, power on, programmed the keypad address to the same address as the old keypad...but for some reason, the system will not arm now, on either keypad.

I punch in my code and the arm button and nothing happens. In fact, if I try to press more than 6 keys, the keypad (either one) beeps each time I press a key, but on the 7th press, it stops beeping and won't start responding to key presses or beeping again for a number of seconds.

Any ideas?

Old 09-24-15, 02:07 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Double check your wiring connections. That behavior is indicative of the two data wires (yellow & green) being swapped.

If you know for sure you matched the keypad address setting; that should do the trick.

Old 09-24-15, 02:35 PM
I did as you suggested and the wiring looked good. I even, just for the heck of it, reversed the Yellow and Green wires, just to be sure, and it gave me an OC error code.

Here are videos of 1) the old keypad (which is working fine before I installed the new one) and 2) the new 6150 keypad showing what is happening. The photo is the board for the 6150.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2kztmmC18jU

Old 09-24-15, 02:38 PM
Old 09-24-15, 04:27 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
What model vista 20 is this? Vista 20p, Vista 20se, or Vista 20 (no suffix)?

What addresses have you set for the keypads?

Does the system work with either of the two keypads disconnected?

Old 09-24-15, 04:36 PM
Here is a shot of the inside door of the control box:

Both keypads are set to 16, which is what the original keypad was set to. Should the second keypad be set to a different address? I know 16 is the default.

The system does work fine with with either keypad connected. The issue arises when they are both connected.

Old 09-24-15, 04:51 PM
Upon further research, it appears that I have to enable the new keypad using the installer code 800 and *190? Is this correct? If so, I don't have the installer code and I know the security company won't give it to me.

Old 09-24-15, 05:20 PM
OK, problem SOLVED!

It turns out I am a moron! I didn't realize that the two original keypads had different addresses. One set to 16 and the other set to 17. So I was trying to program the replacement keypad to 16 when the failed one was set to 17.

So, I just set the new one to 17 and everything is working fine now.

Thanks again for taking the time to try and help!

Old 09-24-15, 05:21 PM
Pull the keypad off of the wall and power it down, reinstall power and press one and three at the same time and address it at 17. You have a system that needs separate addresses and you have duplicated 2 keypads at address 16.

Yes you must enable that in programming.

Power cycle the system and you have a 90 second window to press *And # at the same time. You should see "Insstaller code 20"

Now you can enter *190 and enter 11 to activate address 17 and 18 if needed.

I would also enter a new installer code when you do this so, when you first get into programming enter a 4 digit code (the first field is the installer code). You will then move to the above programming.

PS: did you try 4112-800? (Default code)

Old 09-26-15, 08:22 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
The right reference info helps: http://www.nationwidesecuritycorp.co...all-Manual.pdf

Got to be careful with Vista panels, though they all look similar, the different versions are very different in features and configuration.

Old 09-26-15, 09:00 AM
Thanks for the info, but I am probably going to have to bite the bullet and bring a tech in.