DSC Power 832 - Help! Door Sensor Accidentally Disabled or Erased

Old 09-20-15, 08:26 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
DSC Power 832 - Help! Door Sensor Accidentally Disabled or Erased

Hello All,

Please have patience with me, I'm way out of my wheelhouse . . . Wife and I bought a house with a DSC Power 832 system with the LED Keypad. We have about a dozen or so sensors. Anyway, we had one motion sensor and it was broken and giving a trouble code and we didn't want it anyway. So we somehow figured out using info from the forums how to disable the zone and erase the transmitter from the system. That worked.

Except. Somehow our back door is no longer registering on the panel either. It seems to have been disabled and erased too. The motion sensor was zone 11 and the door was zone 2 (and was set to delay). I can't figure out how to get the panel to recognize zone 2 again. And I can't figure out what I did wrong (zone 11 was successfully disabled, but it took down 2 with it!)

When I view trouble conditions I only get the trouble reports for telephone line and failure to communicate with central station, which makes sense since we don't have the phone line currently hooked up.

Any help would be appreciated. And remember, I am really an alarm code programming moron. I have the instruction manual, the installers guide, and the worksheets all in front of me and those documents go, in that order, from almost understandable to complete babble.

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-15, 02:36 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 25 Votes on 24 Posts
It could be as simple as a failed hardwired contact. Take the wire off of the zone 2 input. Does the zone show open? If so, you just need a new contact.

Old 09-21-15, 08:10 AM
Just for clarification, would this apply for a system that transmits wirelessly? I'm sorry I did not mention that the sensors are a wireless type that communicate with a receiver that is hardwired to the control panel. Please bear with me as this is pretty new stuff to me.

Old 09-21-15, 04:23 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
If it's all wireless (no wires on the hardwired inputs) changing zone 11 should have had no effect on zone 2, unless you inadvertently changed the zone type while you were trying to eliminate the motion.

Do you recall the keystrokes you used?

Old 09-21-15, 05:52 PM
Its in the programming

Hope this helps...

Zone Programming is section 001
NN <--- zone 1
NN <--- zone 2, delay zone = type 01
NN
NN

There is another section that stores the ESN (Electronic Serial Number) of the wireless device. You must have been in there to remove the MD ESN for zone 11. So check the HEX ESN on the Door contact (usually on a sticker on the side or inside) and make sure that the ESN for Zone 2 is right.

You have an LED keypad and this is not your friend. An LCD keypad would help so much more but... Maybe you know this... Basically Data is displayed in HEX on the Zone LEDs as you scroll through section data. Its a tad tedious unless you do this every day. Read the Installers manual section 4.5 on the data display section to understand how to add up the LEDs to get the HEX character. Have someone there to write down the data as you call it out or do both tasks yourself. Correct any mistakes and then recheck the data entry to be sure it was saved.

You can enter the data on a DSC Programming worksheet. I can help you get a blank one... the model 832 (5010) and just tell me the firmware revision (sticker on the PCB) if you can. V1.0 V1.2, V2.0, V3.2

And BTW check these for the trouble.
- Disable Communication section 380 option 1 off.
- Disable TLM Tel line monitor section 015 option 7 off.

Brian

Old 09-21-15, 07:58 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Programming work sheet: http://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13805
Installer manual: http://cms.dsc.com/download2.php?t=1&id=13802

The trick with DSC is that the worksheets and the manual have to be used as a set.

Old 09-21-15, 10:27 PM
MrRonFL provided V2.0 documentation. This will likely get you through the basic settings you need.

Some options may be documented that do not exist and visa versa if your main control board has a different version. Various items come and go on various firmware versions as DSC makes the boards more reliable and add needed features & remove redundant or problem generating options.

But on the larger scale you have now the basics from the DSC technical library that would normally require Registered Professionals like us to sign in to access.

Only other thing you might need is the RF Receiver module manual. It can be in the Keypad or a separate module that mounts on a wall. Let me know what you have and I'll help you get it.

Good luck and we are here if you need us further. I started as a DIY 30 years ago and then became a certified Pro due to expanding demand. So I understand where you are coming from.

Brian

PS: I unlock DSC Power Series boards that are maliciously locked out or will not hardware default to factory to make them useable. PM me.