Question for Ademco Vista 10SE system issue

Old 09-21-15, 08:24 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Question for Ademco Vista 10SE system issue

Hi, MrRon. I've been reading to find solutions for our issue of the keypad rapidly beeping at various times throughout the day (and middle of the night). I need to replace the battery backup, and am prepared to disconnect the battery and unplug the AC until we can get the replacement battery. BUT, 1)there is an additional transformer plugged in to something in the control box and I don't know what it's for. 2)we have hardwired smoke detectors that I am assuming were monitored along with the security system for the previous owners, so 3)I don't know what will happen with the smokes if/when I unplug the sec system. Will the smokes go off? We do have a separate breaker for them in the main house box, but each smoke has it'w own 9v backup battery, too. I have photos I can upload of the mystery transformer and what look like several additional components in the box the security system is in. Pretty much a rat's nest. The house was described as a "Smart House" when we bought it, but no manuals or anything were left for the fancy schmancy circuitry they installed. I'm resigned to at least one more night of interrupted sleep until we can get this resolved...Thoughts about my enumerated issues above? Thank you in advance!

Sponsored Links
Old 09-21-15, 09:17 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

Pictures are definitely a big help as we can see what you see. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html

It sounds like your smoke detectors are 120v interconnected with battery backup. Those detectors are normally not part of the security system. If you can shut the breaker off to them and the security panel doesn't respond then you should be ok.

Old 09-22-15, 08:08 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
...adding images for reference

Name:  overview with alarm transformer.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  36.9 KBName:  overview with unknown transformer.jpg
Views: 227
Size:  41.2 KBName:  unknown transformer leads here lower right.jpg
Views: 273
Size:  44.2 KB

The first two photos are overviews of the whole box with alarm transformer shown to the right of the box, and with the unknown plug to the left. The third photo shows a circuit board/component with the attachment point at the far lower right corner of the board for the unknown transformer. See, I told you it was a rat's nest! LOL

Old 09-22-15, 08:42 AM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
I don't recognize all that electronic equipment. I see the Vista 10 board nestled in there but I have no idea what the rest is for. It looks like a very old alarm system was there originally and they shoehorned a 10SE in.

Name:  Vista_10SE.JPG=600.jpg
Views: 922
Size:  35.9 KB

Old 09-22-15, 01:12 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
In any case, the simple way to make sure you get the right one, is to disconnect the battery, and take either one of the wires off of the first two terminals on the Vista board (taking care to not short the 16vac against anything).

Those boards are probably for the "smart house" interface; which I suspect doesn't actually work, any longer, and do not actually enter into the equation for what you are trying to do.

Unless they did something odd, you can ignore the hardwired smoke alarms, as they are rarely part of the alarm system.