Ranger American alarm system

Old 09-23-15, 09:46 AM
Ranger American alarm system

When we moved in several years ago, we never activated alarm system but the door and widow chime worked and my wife liked knowing when the kids got home at night.
The other night our electricity went out and the door chime no longer worked and it begin to chime intermittently and we couldn't make it stop.
I went on line and printed out the Manuel but when I tried to re-set the chime the internal alarm went off and had to unplug the whole thing.

Any suggestions on what I did wrong and how to get back to the original place of door chime only when windows and door are opened?

Thanks
John

Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-15, 12:01 PM
Group Moderator
Welcome to the forums.

You should share the manual link with us or post some type of model number for your system.

If the alarm is not monitored..... you are probably getting a failure to communicate with central station trouble. You could also be getting a low battery warning.

Old 09-23-15, 01:22 PM
Ranger alarm

The unit shows it was installed 6/99, the manual was a generic one from searching Ranger American Alarms online!

Old 09-23-15, 01:26 PM
Also the key pad shows(or did show when plugged in and active) Ready,Armed,System. Ready light was yellow and System light was Green. They never flashed as if there was a low battery

Old 09-23-15, 01:51 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Look at the wiring diagram on the inside of the panel door with the motherboard and battery. If there's no diagram, the main chip will have a number like "PC1555mx" on it. Most RA installs were DSC hardware.

The bad news, is that if it's armed, it's even odds that even a hardware default won't help you because RA tended to use the installer lockout feature.

Old 09-23-15, 06:21 PM
So if its an installer lockout there's no way to override and reset the code?

Old 09-23-15, 09:13 PM
Group Moderator
Sometimes there is a way to default the panel but in your case you'd lose everything.

Did you locate a make and model inside the panel ?
Even a picture of the inside would help us identify it. http://www.doityourself.com/forum/el...-pictures.html