Water sensor: dry contact making on power loss ?

Old 09-24-15, 04:21 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Water sensor: dry contact making on power loss ?

I running into problems and hope someone can lend a hand.

I have a water sensor device (watercop) with dry contacts hooked up to my concord 4 which works fine. BUT when the unit loses power it also makes the contacts. The unit has both NO and NC and both trigger on power loss.

Because of this, I cant do CS reporting but I would really like to be alerted when the water sensor really has a water event (not power).

Is it common devices trigger itself on power loss?

I did confirm both NO and NC trigger on loss.

Do I just need to move it to group 25 ?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Old 09-24-15, 07:13 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Not familiar the Watercop, but what you describe sounds like a form of self-supervision, which I consider desirable. One work-around requires some testing to see how group 37 responds to and reports Shorts and Opens. A supervisory resistor required on the zone.

The work-around consists of adding a power loss relay (self-supervising) in series with and "in front of" the Watercop. This relay MUST be on the same branch circuit as the Watercop. The relay could be powered from an appropriately sized wall-wart or from it's own transformer (AC rated relay).

OPERATION:
The Watercop SHORTS the circuit on activation and power fail causing an alarm on the zone. The power loss relay OPENS the circuit causing a trouble condition on the zone.

I don't feel Group 25 is appropriate here; too easy to miss.

Old 09-24-15, 10:27 AM
Group Moderator
Received 331 Votes on 309 Posts
Which Watercop product are you using ? I'm assuming Watercop pro.

.... requires household electrical power and will not operate during a power outage.
I don't like that.

I believe the watercop pro uses a 6vdc plug in wall transformer to power the main unit. I think I'd want to replace that with a 6v battery backup.

Confirm which model you're using.

Old 09-24-15, 02:44 PM
Using the 110v model of watercop. It has an ethernet plug for the NO/NC contacts.

I was thinking the same thing to put relay after the unit but it seems this would be hackish?

Old 09-27-15, 05:44 AM
I don't know concord 4 but I imagine it has battery back up? Connect your watercop's power to the concord 4, instead of a wall outlet. If your concord is 12 volts backup then you will need a 12volt to 6 volt converter.

Old 09-27-15, 06:59 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
I agree georgev, it would be hackish, but I see no other route short of replacing the existing Watercop with The Pro version. Of course you can sell anything on Craig's List.

When you must hack, hack cleanly, hack well and with plenty of forethought.