Alexor PC9155 and Lutron Vcrx help needed

Old 10-04-15, 03:47 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Alexor PC9155 and Lutron Vcrx help needed

I have an Alexor pc9155 and a lutron ra2 system, my vcrx and alexor are currently wired together so that when the alarm goes off the lights will come on full/flash that I have programmed in my essentials software

does anyone know how to program the alexor to activate the alarm when I push a button on my vcrx? I've wired an output on the vcrx to alexor zone 34 as an input but can't seem to figure out how to get it to work,
the vcrx sends out a voltage signal until it is actived then it cuts out the volts

even if someone has no clue about the lutron vcrx I can give all details needed, I'm just trying to get the vcrx act as though it is contact with zone definition to the alexor unit that acts as a panic button, I'm more confused on the alexor programming than anything else

any ideas? thanks in advanced

Last edited by KoiMaster; 10-04-15 at 04:31 PM.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-15, 03:54 PM
Group Moderator
Received 344 Votes on 322 Posts
I'm confused..... I can understand when the alarm goes off that certain lights come on but why would you want the lighting controller to be able to trip the alarm ? A panic button from a wireless lighting receiver is a dangerous idea...... especially if the system is monitored.

Here's a sheet I've used from Lutron.....
Lutron/TechnicalDocumentLibrary/Interfacing RA with Security.pdf

Old 10-04-15, 04:21 PM
PJmax, the system is not monitored other than by my dog lol that would probably be more efficient at most times, anyways the reason to have lutron trigger the alarm is because the alarm isn't always turned on at night, so my plan is that I program a pico controller to the vcrx to control an output (already done) and you hit a button on the pico it triggers the alarm which then in turn triggers the vcrx with has the full/flash mode for all the lights I've programmed in the essentials software, also this could be used to test the system, I'm sure I will have to disarm at the control panel but its more of a panic button than anything
any ideas?

btw the pdf link you sent is how my system is wired so the alarm triggers the vcrx for full/flash, I'm trying to reverse the idea by making the vcrx now trigger the alarm, but thanks

Old 10-04-15, 04:30 PM
Group Moderator
Ok... so then what you need here is how to program your alarm system so that point is a 24 hour point. You mentioned zone 48. Do you have that many expansion modules on your alarm ?
The panel zones are 1-8 and everything after that is either wireless or on an expansion board.

Old 10-04-15, 04:41 PM
I actually made a mistake (corrected) I had zone 43 but I meant to put 34, which is a wired zone, I have wired the alexor to the vcrx, I used the instructions from the alexor I used a red wire to the aux+ and the black wire to the I/O2 those wires go to the vcrx, red being positive on the 2 and the black being negative on the C for the outputs is there a chance something is wrong there?

the vcrx puts out .51vdc until it is triggered then it goes to zero vdc

Old 10-04-15, 05:03 PM
Group Moderator
The alarm will want to see a hard closure. You can't feed any foreign voltage into an alarm point. You'll need to use the output of a relay to open/close the point.

Most alarm panels have 5 volts from the point + to common for an open point.
A normal point is usually 2.5v from the point to ground and of course 0v is shorted.

Old 10-04-15, 05:07 PM
I'm confused there, so what would you like to see me do for wiring at this point? is there a specific relay to buy?
I have one elk-912 relay going from the alexor to the vcrx already

Old 10-04-15, 05:12 PM
Group Moderator
Then you'll need a second relay from the vcrx to the point on the alexor.

Old 10-04-15, 05:15 PM
ok so should I pick up another elk-912? if so how would I wired it from the vcrx to the alexor?

Old 10-05-15, 02:42 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
Looking at the data sheet for the Lutron unit: http://www.lutron.com/TechnicalDocum...s_369-224a.pdf

They describe the outputs as contact closure, so I don't think you are actually measuring voltage on those outputs (digital meters will often show a phantom voltage measuring across contacts) You should have been testing the contacts with the continuity function on your meter...

You shouldn't need a relay, if the outputs are contact closure. Connect a wire from the output on the Lutron to input 34, connect the other wire from the output Common to the Alexor Aux -. Connect a 5.6k resistor across the pair of wires at the Lutron end.

Program the zone input as a 24 hour audible.

Old 10-05-15, 03:27 AM
that sounds easy enough my alexor came with some (what I believe) are resistors, how do I know if they are 5.6k or another size? when it comes to using a volt meter I'm by no means a pro

thanks

Old 10-05-15, 07:29 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
5.6K = Green/Blue/Red for the first 3 stripes.

Old 10-05-15, 02:59 PM
ok that's what they sent with the alexor, so I went ahead and wired up everything as you suggested, and programmed the alexor for a couple of different zones like 24 hr burglary, and its still not working, any suggestions on what programming I'm missing? I even tried to turn on the I/O2 to N.O and N.C

Last edited by KoiMaster; 10-05-15 at 04:11 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 04:25 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
First, verify which end of the wire is the problem. Connect your meter in continuity mode to the output and the associated common. Does it show open or closed? (reading the data sheet, it should show open).

Now, trigger the output, does it change states and close the circuit?

If no, then your problem is with the configuration of the Lutron unit.

Now test your input on the Alexor. Put the wires with the resistor across the input and aux minus. Short across the resistor. Do you get an alarm? If no, then your problem is how you have the Alexor configured.

Remember, ultimately, these circuits are basically normally open and normally closed switches, with the option of resistor supervision.

Old 10-05-15, 05:00 PM
ok, I can actually change the output to N.O or N.C but currently it is set that in the off state it is testing as open and when I trigger the output it closes the contact, it tests the same on the output of the lutron vcrx and on the alexor unit

when I shorted accross the resistor it did nothing, (I just used the end of the multimeter probe to cross the wires)

so it must be a programming issue in the alexor unit, correct?
where do I go from here?
thanks

Old 10-05-15, 05:19 PM
Group Moderator
Just to confirm something.... since you are using zone point 34.... you must have at least one zone expansion board. Those boards are 8 channels. Do you currently have any points working correctly on that board ?

yes.... programming issue in the alarm.

Old 10-05-15, 05:27 PM
zone 33 and zone 34 are right on the main board next to the aux screws and the a/c power screws,
they are actually I/O connections zone 33 is currently a configured to be a pgm which is working correctly to turn on my full/flash circuit on my lutron vcrx when the alarm is triggered I/O 2 is what I've configured to be zone 34 and having issues with

Last edited by KoiMaster; 10-05-15 at 05:53 PM.
Old 10-05-15, 07:15 PM
Group Moderator
I didn't realize that was the wireless panel. 32 wireless and 2 configurable wired points.

[009] ---> second entry for pt 34 I/O zone definition of 16 for 24 hour panic
[013] ----> option 2 ---> on for input point
[030] ----> option 2 ---> off for normal loop response
[101]-[134]---> option 14 off, 15 on, 16 off. (15 is single end of line resistor)

Verify these before changing in programming. Some you may already changed.

(a little confession.... I use a laptop to program all my systems, so these keyboard programmable ones are a little different for me.)

Last edited by PJmax; 10-05-15 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 06:07 AM
Received 4 Votes on 3 Posts
Don't want to confuse the issue, but I must ask: What is the source of power for the ELK-912 relay ( + and – terminals)?

I would think that power for the relay should come from a 12VDC source (Aux terminals on the 9155)? Minimum pull-in voltage for the 912 is 9V @ 30mA and the RA2 may not be able to supply it. Some 912s might work at the border-line and others not. Use a 12V battery as a test source if the 9155 isn't nearby.

Old 10-06-15, 10:47 AM
Group Moderator
It has been determined that the RA-2 has it's own internal relays so no further relay is needed between its output and the alarm panel input.

Old 10-06-15, 02:03 PM
PJmax,
I have verified and matched all of the settings you suggested and I still get nothing when I trigger the output on the lutron vcrx

Old 10-06-15, 02:08 PM
ThisOldMan, the elk actually has nothing to do with the problem, it is there to trigger a different setting on the vcrx, I am not wiring to it for this problem or even going on the same side of the vcrx, the elk is wired to an input not an output

Old 10-06-15, 02:13 PM
Group Moderator
As you work on the alarm programming.... use a short across the point 34 terminals rather then the RA-2.

Mr Ron knows the programming better than I do..... maybe he can add something that was missed.

Old 10-06-15, 02:39 PM
would it beneficial to unhook the lutron system, figure out the programming and just short the zone 34 terminals?
I know I can control the lutron with the essentials software with ease, my downfall is the alexor programming

Old 10-06-15, 06:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Yes, I was telling you to physically separate the two devices so that you can determine which part of the configuration isn't working.

Old 10-07-15, 06:41 AM
ok, I unhooked lutron from the alexor and when I cross the aux - and the I/O2 no alarm is triggered

Old 10-07-15, 08:27 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Installer manual: http://cms.dsc.com/download.php?t=1&id=16699

*8 [installer code]
013 Turn ON option 2
009 00(or whatever definition you have for output 33) 16
030 turn OFF option 2
134 Options 14 OFF 15 ON 16 OFF (which should be the default setting)

If all of these settings are correct, a pair of wires connected to 34 and Aux - with a 5.6 k resistor ACROSS the pair of wires should generate an alarm if you short ACROSS the resistor.

Old 10-07-15, 09:10 AM
GOT IT, where the programming error was, was in the 009 I was putting in 01 for PGM 1 and 34 for input 34, Mr Ron's information made me realize that mistake and once that was corrected everything works as I hoped

now for anyone reading this in the future, keep in mind, triggering your lutron vcrx output contact to trigger your alarm does only that, once triggered, you cannot turn off the alarm by using your lutron systm you have to disarm with the alarm system, that may be common knowledge but I've read lots of info on people trying to get to this point and have lutron kill the alarm too,
I'm a certified lutron ra2 installer and the best to my knowledge I'm sure this is not going to work (at this point in time directly between lutron and alarm)

thanks so much for your help guys

Old 10-07-15, 01:43 PM
OK maybe we aren't quite there lol,
when I push the panic button the pico remote it triggers the output on the vcrx which in turn is wired and programmed to trigger the alexor unit as a 24hr panic which works, perfectly, thanks to you guys, but what is missing is when the alexor is triggered when armed by a door or window or motion detector it then sends a signal through the elk-912 to the vcrx and in turns triggers an input that turns on certain lights and flashes others than I have programmed in my lutron software,
so what is missing is when the button is pressed to activate zone 34 a 24 hr panic zone the lutron does not make the lights go to flash/full

can I change the zone definition? what can be done to activate the alexor as a full out security breech?

Last edited by KoiMaster; 10-07-15 at 02:14 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 02:38 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
On a wild guess, I suspect that you used the PGM 1 option 01 (burg and fire siren output)

To make it do what you want, you want to use PGM 1 option 10, instead and go to programming location 501 and turn ON options 1, 2, & 3. That will make it activate for burg, fire _and_ panic.

Old 10-07-15, 02:55 PM
Good guess, I was just going through the programming myself before checking back and figured it out, PGM 1 was programmed to zone def. 16 because I thought thats what you suggested earlier, I actually changed it to 01 as I had it programmed to before (by my own lack of knowledge I explained earlier in the post) and it works the way I wanted it to,
I'll leave well enough alone at this point lol
this problem has been solved, they should have some sort of a setup on here to be able to make donations to people that solve problems.
You're help has saved me alot of frustration and I appreciate that
thank you so much