DSC PC5010 CP-01 - DIY Security Project

Old 10-09-15, 12:28 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
DSC PC5010 CP-01 - DIY Security Project

General background:
When we bought our home (built in 2005) it had a DSC PC5010 CP-01system already installed. It has 2 system keypads, 5 door contacts and 2 motion detectors (all wireless to the main panel), and a siren. It had been the model home and the builder had it connected to a security company via land line, but deactivated the monitoring service and system. We moved in in 2007, but never had it re-activated!

We recently had the system checked out and re-activated (door open chimes, etc. at the keypads), but not armed.

It doesn’t have the cellular module, and we only use our cell phones now (AT&T), so we don’t currently have a land line for central monitoring.

I am reviewing options to replace (or augment, if possible) the DSC system. We’ve talked to the local servicer/monitor for DSC as well as ADT and others. And I’ve looked at the SimpliSafe do-it-yourself systems on line.

Now I’m thinking about a total DYI by enhancing our security with smoke and CO detectors, cameras and maybe monitoring and controlling the system by cell phone myself. I’m not trying to secure Fort Knox here, and I want to do this somewhat economically, but I want some kind of security system in place, and I’d like to bring it into the modern world.

Question:
I thought my first DIY effort would be to get cellular going on it. It’s my understanding that the logical first component might be the Links1000 cellular communicator. However, my early investigation has come up various notes and comments that leave me with a number of question marks:
- the unit is analog and won’t work with newer digital only systems
- the unit has never been UL approved
- FCC has canceled the frequency
- not too many out there for sale

Any feedback on the Links1000 and/or recommendations on this (or any part of my overall DIY security effort) would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Old 10-09-15, 02:18 PM
Group Moderator
Received 3,951 Upvotes on 3,544 Posts
Welcome to the forums.

I believe you could use the following communications module for your system.
I'm fairly certain that you would need an internet connection for camera transmission.

Honeywell Total Connect iGSMV4G

Old 10-09-15, 02:27 PM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
The simplest (and probably cheapest) solution is to replace the PC-5010 with a current generation DSC PC1832. (DSC) That will give you an up to date system that would be compatible with things like Alarm.com or similar monitoring solutions that would give you remote access. You could replace one of the keypads with an RF receiver model to add wireless smokes (and other devices), should you wish.

Old 10-14-15, 09:33 PM
P
Upvotes: 0
Received 0 Upvotes on 0 Posts
Thanks much for the response!

Honeywell's iGSMV4G product description suggests that because of "...onboard zone inputs and optional dialer capture capability, we’re compatible with other manufacturers’ security panels as well." In their documentation they make reference to their Dialer Capture Intelligence Device regarding other manufacturers' control panels. Do you know specifically if it will interface to the DSC PC5010 CP-01?

It also talks about requiring an active account and having their AlarmNet Network Control Center monitoring the system. I do not want to go through a central monitoring service as I am planning to monitor and control the system from my cell phone(s) and/or computers. Any thoughts on this?

Thanks again,

Papanik

Old 10-15-15, 02:33 AM
M
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 293 Upvotes on 268 Posts
With the addition of the dialer capture board, the IPGSM4G will essentially create a phone line and transmit contact ID signals, so it will send full data out.

It does require a central station account, and the two-way functionality only works with Honeywell Vista panels.

Old 10-15-15, 04:43 PM
B
Received 1 Upvote on 1 Post
Cellular systems cost money because you have to open a cellular account. If you have internet then you can use that for free.

The only downside is that they can always cut your internet line from the outside (although you will get a lost signal warning inside of 5 minutes). They can't interrupt a cell signal.

Search this Thread

Ask a Question
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: