GE Security Pro 7000 Display Problem

Old 10-18-15, 09:33 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
GE Security Pro 7000 Display Problem

Hi folks, first post here. I have a GE Security Pro 7000 and the display on the keyboard just went blank, you see nothing on it. Keypad works otherwise. I think the keypad is the SuperBus 2000 2-line Display VFD Touchpad. We had a issue with some of the keys on the keypad last year and I *think* the security company replaced the a board within the unit but not the entire unit, if that makes sense? It was a bit costly. Wondering a couple of things? Could there just be a RESET or some other function I can do to see get the display working again? If not, does the entire unit typically need replaced or is there some component within the unit that can be replaced? Also, if I buy a replacement unit myself, is it a plug-and-play swap, meaning where is the programming info kept on the device? If I simply replace the entire unit is that a difficult process beyond simply swapping the unit or do I need to do all the programming again myself? Trying to save some $$ here.

Thanks, D

Sponsored Links
Old 10-19-15, 02:35 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
The programming info resides in the system motherboard (in the metal box with the battery). At most, the keypad supervision will need to be reset when you swap the keypad. If you do, fully power the system down (no, you won't lose any programming other than time/date) before swapping the keypad.

Old 10-19-15, 05:43 AM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Hi Ron, thanks for the info. So I tried to set the lighting on the keypad and nothing seems to work to make it viewable, though the keypad works fine otherwise. Even pulled power from the keypad and nothing changes. I got a copy of the keypad install manual and it talks about setting the "bus unit number" and that the keypads typically default to "1". How do you know what bus numbers are already set and how to make sure the keypad can be integrated into the system? Is this what you mean when you said the supervision may need to be reset?

I believe I have a Concord panel and it says that if the software if > 2.0 if should automatically scan all modules and set them. Not sure whether my software is that new though, hopefully it is, not sure how to verify?

This is all new to me.

Thanks in advance, D

Old 10-19-15, 04:57 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 28 Votes on 27 Posts
I think the "Security Pro 7000" is the immediate predecessor to the Concord panels. Very similar, but not quite the same. (And far less available online info...)

The instructions for setting the keypad bus address will be in the instructions which come with the new keypad, but typically, they come defaulted to address 1.