Trying to fix Honeywell Vista 50P

Old 10-25-15, 06:54 PM
Received 0 Votes on 0 Posts
Trying to fix Honeywell Vista 50P

Hey guys I'm new here and am trying to find out some information about my moms home alarm system. It was installed by the previous owner and has since started giving fault codes. When we first got the house the system worked great all the zones were labeled with what they were and everything. Then when the first fault code started happening she had a electrician that had done some work before come out and look at it and he couldn't fix it. Although apparently he did manage to wipe all the labels and everything out. So now I am spending some time trying to fix the system. Any help is greatly appreciated and I will provide as much information as possible.

Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-15, 09:24 PM
Received 11 Votes on 11 Posts
To put it simply, perfectly competent electricians don't know anything about alarm systems, unless they happen also to be alarm technicians. They're different fields of expertise. Unfortunately, I've had to go behind too many electricians who apparently thought, "How hard can it be?" It's like the difference between driving a 16-wheeler and flying a cargo plane. They do have similarities, but I wouldn't let a truck driver fly my plane unless he could show me his pilot's license.

I'm not sure what you mean by "the first fault code happening". In alarm parlance, a "fault" displayed on a keypad simply means that whatever is on the associated zone is "open"--i.e., if it's a door or window, it's open; or if it's a motion sensor, it sees motion wherever it's looking. I know the word, "Fault" sounds like something's wrong, but the word displayed on the keypad just means there's activity in the system: Doors or windows being open or motion being detected, which is normal in a house with people in it.
If there was an actual problem, you'll have to be more specific.

Now your mom's electrician may have deleted the Alpha labels in panel memory, or he may not have. Press * (star) on the keypad and see what is displayed when you open a door. At the very least, it should display the zone number, along with the word "FAULT".

If you're trying to fix it, I assume you have the Installer's Manual and Programming Manual? Before we can help, we need to know _specifically_ what the system is doing that it's not supposed to do; or not doing that it _is_ supposed to do.

Old 10-25-15, 10:06 PM
The fault is saying zone 01 and zone 03. I have done a little poking around based on what I did know and have come to the conclusion that one switch is bad for a door. That is zone 03. I have no idea what zone 01 is and I would really like to figure out how to re-label all of the zones. From looking at the board it looks like there are 5 sets of wires coming out of the control panel inputs even though I can only find 3 control panels in the house.

More or less electronics really interest me and I have been given moms graces to mess with it to see if I can figure out how to get it working. But I am coming from very limited knowledge of alarms(basically what I've read over the past couple hours). And no knowledge of how this one was installed.

Old 10-26-15, 02:25 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
Received 27 Votes on 26 Posts
Programming forms: http://www.info-techs.com/ademco/fil...ing/v50ppf.pdf
Installer manual: http://www.froulaalarms.com/cd/AdemcoVista50Pii.pdf
User manual: http://www.security.honeywell.com/do...vista50pUM.pdf

First, you need to determine _what_ each of the zones correspond to. Were I to guess, I'd say that your electrician friend likely defaulted the system, wiping out the programmed zone descriptors in the process. A 50p is a fairly large capacity system, so it wouldn't be too surprising if you have a zone expander or two (which also use the keypad bus connections).

Last edited by MrRonFL; 10-27-15 at 01:18 PM.
Old 10-26-15, 02:40 PM
What would be the best way to figure out what zone is equivalent to what sensor?

Old 10-26-15, 04:24 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
The old fashioned way: Turn on the chime, have a helper open one door/window at a time while you make note of what zone shows up open. The ones that don't work either don't have contacts, or are part of one of the already open zones (that's why having a tech do this is expensive, it's tedious and labor intensive) If you are _very_ lucky, they labeled the wires.

Old 10-26-15, 10:48 PM
So I went back over to the house tonight and took some pictures of everything that makes up the system I believe. I was not lucky enough to have labeled wires. I guess I will take this weekend and go through figuring out what everything is. How would I go about re entering those labels once I figure it all out?

Pictures: Imgur: The most awesome images on the Internet

Old 10-27-15, 02:47 AM
Forum Topic Moderator
You have your work cut out for you. This was a pretty large system with lots of add on devices. Zone descriptors would be programmed using the *93 menu mode programming.

You are going to have to work your way through the manuals. This was a commercial grade system, and has a _lot_ of options.

Old 10-27-15, 08:51 AM
Sounds like it will be a fun project. I like a challenge, Any other advice you can give?

Old 10-27-15, 01:09 PM
Forum Topic Moderator
Make a list of the model numbers of all the little add-on boxes your system has. Just from that few photos, you have at least a couple of polling loop devices on that setup. That can make figuring out zones even more complicated.

Old 10-27-15, 05:03 PM
Alright I will when I get back over there.